Sun coral feeding Q..

C_alex

I just bought a Sun coral/ orange color with yellow, and ready for their first meal with mysis and baby guppy, my question is do I have to feed every single polpy? And are they actually consider a one piece live ( since it has about 25 big polpys)
Thanks in advance

Alex

I've always heard that every one needs to be fed until recently. I have read on other boards and from Borneman that EVERy polyp doesnt need to be fed. If the coral is well fed, each polyp will do well. Mine has over 100 heads and there is no way to feed every one. I feed alot every other night and mine is doing great and i havent lost a single head and the polyps have definitely grown.
That being said, i would definitely try to feed every single head and feed alot. Try putting a cup or tupperware bowl over it, drill a few holes and squirt the food in with a syringe. That way, no one will steal its food and the water quality will not suffer.

I fed 7 polyps tonight, and each 7 polyps will extend and expand,but about 20 mins later I found more than 12 polyps were expanded, that's make me very wonder?
Any others have experience with this beautiful coral?

You may want to try a little meatier food. I get an ounce or 2 each of squidd, clam, mussels, shrimp and scallops. I mince it very fine in a food processor, add some selcon, zoecon and frozen cyclopeeze. Spread it on a sheet of aluminum foil about 1/4 " thick and freeze it. Then every other day i break a small chunk, thaw in a shotglass of tankwater and feed.
Works great and lasts a few months for less than $5. The other fish and inverts love it as well!

I just found out something last night, I fed my fish with pellet (tetra bites) a sinking pellet, and you knowwhat, my sun coral catch couple of the pellet by the flow and seems they enjoy doing it, other un-open polyps start fully open,haha. I now have onemore option on food.

i sprinkle the food on top ive never feed each one because it is impossible the way mine is shaped i would have to flip it over there has to be over 50 polyps on itand ive had it for a year and no part has died i feed it mysis twice a week

Last edited:
I feed my sun coral twice a week sometimes only once, each time it has 2 cubes of mysis, i try and get every polyp but know i dont always manage it. I have noticed a lot of new baby polyps growing between the large heads and spreading to the base where its bare.

Tank59.jpg

Tank60.jpg

Tank53.jpg

Wow, beautiful tank. your sun coral looks great, polyps galore.
And how long have you have the blueberry gorgonian? I really like to have some but read a lot of negative keeping on them.

c-alex, had the gorgonian a while but its gradually receeding. Still opens its polyps but dosnt have as many as in this pic. Wouldnt get another.

Ryanqk its under a 150w halide and a 36w actinic. I dont think you have to hide them in caves, i know a few people that are having success with them in the open.

i try to feed every polyp mine are in the open as well under 175w 10k and 2 96w 10k 296w 03 actinic pcs

Is it impossible or very difficult to get a sun coral frag from someone? I would really like to get one, but have absolutely no $green$ at the moment.(poor college student) I have yellow gorg frags I can trade, but I haven't seen anyone trading them. Is it possible? I want to try the black as well as the yellow.(let someone borrow my invert book so I don't have scientific names) Are there more species then just the two?

Jon

Back