Sunscreen Kills Corals

ezcompany

Premium Member
From the socal forum by sharkdude:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=11722770#post11722770

Swimmers' Sunscreen Killing Off Coral
Ker Than
for National Geographic News

January 29, 2008

The sunscreen that you dutifully slather on before a swim on the beach may be protecting your bodyâ€"but a new study finds that the chemicals are also killing coral reefs worldwide.

Four commonly found sunscreen ingredients can awaken dormant viruses in the symbiotic algae called zooxanthellae that live inside reef-building coral species.

The chemicals cause the viruses to replicate until their algae hosts explode, spilling viruses into the surrounding seawater, where they can infect neighboring coral communities.

Zooxanthellae provide coral with food energy through photosynthesis and contribute to the organisms' vibrant color. Without them, the coral "bleaches"â€"turns whiteâ€"and dies.

"The algae that live in the coral tissue and feed these animals explode or are just released by the tissue, thus leaving naked the skeleton of the coral," said study leader Roberto Danovaro of the Polytechnic University of Marche in Italy.

The researchers estimate that 4,000 to 6,000 metric tons of sunscreen wash off swimmers annually in oceans worldwide, and that up to 10 percent of coral reefs are threatened by sunscreen-induced bleaching.

The study appeared online in the journal Environmental Health Perspectives.

Activated Viruses

Danovaro and his team studied the effects of sunscreen exposure on coral samples from reefs in the Pacific, Atlantic, and Indian Oceans.

Even low levels of sunscreen, at or below the typical amount used by swimmers, could activate the algae viruses and completely bleach coral in just four days, the results showed.

Seawater surrounding coral exposed to sunscreen contained up to 15 times more viruses than unexposed samples.

Several brands of popular sunscreens were tested and all had four ingredients in common: paraben, cinnamate, benzophenone, and a camphor derivative.

Dangerous Dose

Robert van Woesik, a coral expert at the Florida Institute of Technology, was not involved in the research.

He questions whether conditions in the study accurately reflect those found in nature.

For example, the coral samples were exposed to sunscreen while in plastic bags to avoid contaminating the reefs. But van Woesik worries this prevented dilution of the chemicals through natural water circulation.

"Under normal situations on a coral reef, corals would not be subjected to these high concentrations because of rapid dilution," van Woesik said.

But according to study author Danovaro, the effect is not dose dependentâ€"so coral's exposure to a very small dose of sunscreen is just as dangerous as a high exposure.

"It is more like on-off," he said. "Once the viral epidemic is started, it is not a problem of toxicity."

Alarming Trend

Rebecca Vega Thurber, a marine virus and coral researcher at San Diego State University in California, said the new results are further evidence of an alarming trend.

"Other [human-induced] factors such as coastal pollution, overfishing, and sedimentation all contribute to coral reef habitat degradation, and this work continues in that vein," said Vega Thurber, who was also not involved in the research.

(Related news: "Coral Reefs Vanishing Faster Than Rain Forests" [August 7, 2007].)

"But before we ban sunscreens, we must first determine if local ambient concentrations of sunscreens are positively correlated with coral bleaching events."

Danovaro says banning sunscreen won't be necessary, and points out two simple things swimmers can do to reduce their impact on coral: Use sunscreens with physical filters, which reflect instead of absorb ultraviolet radiation; and use eco-friendly chemical sunscreens.

(Read about other ways you can protect the oceans.)

Australian researchers are also working to develop a sunscreen based on a natural ultraviolet-blocking compound found in coral.

Up to 10 percent of coral reefs are threatened by sunscreen-induced bleaching, a new study found.

Photograph courtesy Department of Marine Science, Polytechnic University of Marche, Ancona, Italy

Interesting. I never knew exactly why sunscreen was bad, but when I went snorkeling over 10 years ago they prohibited anyone from wearing it, so this has been known for a while. Sunscreen isn't good for people either, but better than skin cancer I guess.

Interesting.

Maybe this is contributing to the Elkhorn coral decline (i.e. was like the first coral in the endangered species list in which 90% has died within the last 10 yrs - it was arguably the most important reef building coral in the caribbean)

"Use sunscreens with physical filters, which reflect instead of absorb ultraviolet radiation; and use eco-friendly chemical sunscreens. "

doh! they should have given an example or how to determine what kind of screen you're purchasing!

The decline of Caribbean Acropora is from white band, not bleaching. It's possible that sunscreen is triggering a different virus there that's leading to the white band, but I see no reason to believe that's the case.

Personally, I'm not really sold on this experiment.

Sure, they need every bit of help. While sunscreen may prove to be something worth concern there is a far more insidious problem - that is also associated with increased tourism - that effects reefs, especially in the Keys. Sewage treatment (or lack of it). I just attended a really interesting lecture discussing a potential link between bacteria found in human waste and the occurrence of white pox disease in elkhorn coral in the Keys. Very interesting stuff and I had never realized before that so many people in the Keys use septic systems.

One highlighted study flushed markers down toilets and discovered that they were detectable in the ocean just downstream of the study toilets within a few hours! (Just over three.) Another showed that 95% of the canals in the Keys are contaminated with viruses associated with human waste, and 64% of the reefs in the randomly selected study sites were likewise contaminated.

Coral disease is a super complex problem and I hope we can get a handle on the source of the diseases, and their causes, sooner rather than later. But sunscreen may not be a truly big worry when ranked with the bigger problems we've got.

>Sarah

Very interesting stuff and I had never realized before that so many people in the Keys use septic systems.
Not to mention how much of the state flushes their sewage into the ocean through outflow pipes, especially in the southern portions.

Our coastal waters are simply getting slaughtered by run off and sewage outflow. Not only human pathogens and elevated nutrients, but also medicines and hormones that also have studied and proven deleterious effects on the marine life exposed to them. Harmful algae blooms, and diseased of shellfish and finfish are on the increase and spreading in geographic location as well.

Greenie: Outfalls were at least a sort of travesty I was aware existed. Leaking septic systems is one of those hidden pitfalls that you don't realize are throwing wrenches into your system until you fall in. My jaw literally dropped listening to this talk since I had absolutely never given septic systems a moments thought within the construct of ecology on the coast.

If anyone is wondering what the heck a sewage outfall is, take a peek over at the MarinePhotobank.org resouce and search for "sewage" in the Photo Center, or perhaps this link will work.

Ah, and finally, if anyone is wondering who to look up to learn more, the talk was given by Dr. Kathryn Sutherland (good place to start for papers and such).

>Sarah

Im not completely sold either. With the vast size of the ocean i dont really see how a bit of suncream/screen can affect them so maybe it is something else.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11748106#post11748106 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Samala
Greenie: Outfalls were at least a sort of travesty I was aware existed. Leaking septic systems is one of those hidden pitfalls that you don't realize are throwing wrenches into your system until you fall in. My jaw literally dropped listening to this talk since I had absolutely never given septic systems a moments thought within the construct of ecology on the coast.

Leaking/leaching septic systems is one of the major contributors to many creeks on Long Island ending up closed to shellfishing. It's definitely a major contributor where you have housing in close proximity to water. A lot of coastal areas are basically nice porous sediments that we built on. As a result anything we do just filters through the sediment and into our coastal waters rather quickly.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11749247#post11749247 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kar93
Im not completely sold either. With the vast size of the ocean i dont really see how a bit of suncream/screen can affect them so maybe it is something else.

That's just the problem, most people look out at all that water out there and don't see how seemingly small things can effect it. Yet the reality is that small things we do have a surprising impact on coastal and ocean ecology. In many cases it might not be an individual compound that is by itself the cause of a problem, but merely the tipping point when added to the accumulation of all the other assaults we place on the environment.

"That's just the problem, most people look out at all that water out there and don't see how seemingly small things can effect it. "

They don't realized either that small things add up OR the sheer number of other people also dumping. This is why I wish everyone could not have their trash bins emptied for a year so they understand just how much they dump... let alone sewage.

Samala - nice (gross!) pictures... In some ways I'm surprised we do this... in other ways I'm not.

i think one thing worth mention is,if we use sunscreen at our homes ,in pools ect... and especially the waterproof compounds,that it scan explain some unexplained necrosis in our own little piece of the reef.either by not washing hands thoroughly or not at all and sticking our hands in the tank to pick up that stubborn coral that always gets knocked over by something.i have always,as a mechanic by trade,been especially conscious of contaminants being introduced like this and have preached to others about the importance of wearing gloves or washing and rinsing thoroughly.thanks Dan

Back