Superman Monti?

reefer1024

Is this frag I just picked up is the famous Superman monti?
DSC00812.jpg

thank you for your help

Looks like it...There are alot of imposter's around now...all the big culture facilities have been able to get their hands on ones that look like the Tyree superman, so that is good...but to me it does not matter if it is Tyree's original or not, it looks like it and that is good enough.

Thanks. I don't really care if its the original or not either. I like it and thats all that should matter. I was just wondering because I got it pretty cheap out of the frag tank at my LFS and I have been seeing supermans go for 3-4 times as much.

sun set are light hugs. needs to be close to the lights. but first work the sun set up to the light.
P.S. that looks like a super man

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10818554#post10818554 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by myusername
sun set are light hugs. needs to be close to the lights. but first work the sun set up to the light.
P.S. that looks like a super man

ditto on that! LOVES high light! take it slow though

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10819171#post10819171 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kev apsley
ditto on that! LOVES high light! take it slow though

Our local reef club just ahd a talk by ADna Riddle, and he SPECIFICALLY stated as per the light requirements of that coral, it only needs like 250 PAR. In fact, most red or orange corals could maintain their coral and grow noramlly under this average PAR. It was very enlightening.

Shouldn't that be considered a blue coral though? I know if it doesn't have enough light the base pales out and the contrasting base is what makes the red/orange polyps stand out. Was the 250 the amount that it needed to grow or was 250 the amount it needed to have the bright blue?

I like Dana's research, good stuff. Was it a pretty good talk?

superman is blue, but sunset is orange based. FWIW, he had superman at only slightly higher average PAR. His researchhad showed that PAr at 325ish and higher started photoinhibition.

I have it on the bottom of a 12" cube with a 150 watt metal halide 4" over the surface. Do you think that is good or do you think it would get better color if I move it up?

I was given a free superman monti from the store I work at.....wild collected. It has the exact same color polyps as yours and is very slowly developing a deep blue base (not mine, at the store). It does love a TON of light and the faster it grows the more blue it gets. Here is my tiny frag when I got it.......It has grown, WOW, it odd looking at old pics, http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s7/RyanSc_photos/IMG_1172.jpg

Mine looks like that right now too. I've only had it about 3 weeks and it has already started to change. Just give it some time. Other guys that I have talked with about it say that they take a while to become that deep blue color that looks really cool.

Yup Superman I have mine under a 250W MH about 1/4 up from the bottom. it has been growing well.

here is an old pic

Corals9-2-07020.jpg

Back