Switching tanks and sand

Troy the Nomad

Laissez LeBonTempsRouler!
Going to be upgrading from 55 to 125 soon:D

I have a lot of life in my 55's sand, dozens of spaghetti worms etc. I'm thinking I'd set up the 125 with 80 lbs. of sand or so and add some from the 55 every day.

Problems?

That is similar to what I did when I went from a 29 to a 33 cube. Had new sand in the tank, then I transferred the water and rocks too it. After it was up and running, I moved some of the sand over. Got a little bit cloudy, but nothing major. That night saw a bunch of pods and worms out on the sandbed.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14169063#post14169063 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Toddrtrex
That is similar to what I did when I went from a 29 to a 33 cube. Had new sand in the tank, then I transferred the water and rocks too it. After it was up and running, I moved some of the sand over. Got a little bit cloudy, but nothing major. That night saw a bunch of pods and worms out on the sandbed.
No high nitrate readings?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14169115#post14169115 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Troy the Nomad
No high nitrate readings?

Funny enough I did a full patch of water tests last night -- Nitrates were 0. I did the transfer on Saturday. Should note that when the 29 was set up, I had 0 nitrates.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14169131#post14169131 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Toddrtrex
Funny enough I did a full patch of water tests last night -- Nitrates were 0. I did the transfer on Saturday. Should note that when the 29 was set up, I had 0 nitrates.

Thanks! I usually have nitrates under 10, but always some measurable amount.

I should say that my 29 had a shallow sand bed, which I gravel vacced with each weekly water change. Also, I only transferred over the top layer.

Back