t-5 fixtures

jerseyboy

i was told i need to use a 60" name brand fixture on my 220 gal reef tank as opposed to using two 36" ebay fixtures. i would replace the grow light bulbs with ati bulbs on the 36" fixtures. his reasoning was the 80 watt 60" bulbs would penetrate the water column better. 4x80 watt 60" bulbs = 320 watts. 8 x 39 watts 36" bulbs =312 watts. the wattage is virtually the same. am i missing something?

if i search ebay i can find 72" fixtures. but the reef supply houses dont list anything bigger than 60". so i can buy the fixture but not good bulbs

A fixture like an ATI may have better reflector design and be able to cool the bulbs better AND
320W of bulbs in 5ft long area will provide more light than 310W of bulbs spread over a 6ft area..
Its unlikely that you would even notice the difference in anything but your pocketbook as far as the light output is concerned between those 2 choices..

NOW... when you factor in bulb replacement costs the difference is VERY clear..
A 36" bulb is $22/ea (you would need 8)
A 60" bulb is $26/ea (you would need 4)

Buying bulbs for your 2 x 36 would be 8 x $22 = $176 a year
Buying bulbs for your 1 x 60" would be 4 x $26 = $104 a year
Thats a $72 savings each year going with the 60" fixture..

Last edited:
A fixture like an ATI may have better reflector design and be able to cool the bulbs better AND
320W of bulbs in 5ft long area will provide more light than 310W of bulbs spread over a 6ft area..
Its unlikely that you would even notice the difference in anything but your pocketbook as far as the light output is concerned between those 2 choices..

sexy Mafematics

the cost of a few bulbs is the least of my worries

the cost of a few bulbs is the least of my worries

What are your worries then?
Why are you thinking 2 x 36 would be better or seem to want to go that way instead?
2x36 is simply the more expensive option in the long run with no real benefit to the tank.

ati and others dont make a 72" fixture. the next closest is the hybrid at almost 600 bucks or the ati at about the same. if you read my post im trying to not spend that much on a light because frankly i think its rediculous when i can get the ebay light for about 100 bucks. my real question is will it do the same thing with good bulbs

Reflectors are key for T5s. Look for something that has a reflector curved around each bulb, not one big arc around all bulbs. I think people were having some success with Sunlight Supply's plant fixtures, but they're a little ugly and probably are best hidden in a canopy. I'm sure DIY sets are still on the market too. ATI and Tek were probably the best T5s back when they were all the rave. Not sure if Tek is still around, but they're cheaper than ATI but aren't QUITE as good. I've run both and would recommend either one.

odysea is garbage..steer clear and go with a quality fixture like ATI..if you're handy -you can build your own custom t5 unit with a couple ice cap ballasts and some acrylic...

odysea is garbage..steer clear and go with a quality fixture like ATI..if you're handy -you can build your own custom t5 unit with a couple ice cap ballasts and some acrylic...

the price of Ati is exactly why im asking this question and looking at ebay alternatives

Or shop used. I bought my 24" ATI fixture for a little over $100. You'll have to be patient because they don't show up all the time, but you can get some good buys when they do. The prominence of LED fixtures only helps the used prices. Keep an eye out for used TEK fixtures too. They're ALMOST as good as ATI.

Back