Tahitian Butterflyfish in Mushroom Only Tank

monkeysee1

Hi again everyone!
Quick question about the Tahitian Butterflyfish:
Has anyone ever had one?
If so, how do you think they would be in a mushroom only tank with a few inverts (sea urchins, hermits, emeralds, cleaner shrimp)??
I had a Pakistan Butterflyfish for almost thirteen years, until (I'm guessing, now) old age got the best of him. He was a very good fish and NEVER touched ANY of these in my tank.
I tried to research compatibility of the Tahitian Butterfly on line but I COULDN'T find much specific information.
LFS I've been doing business for several years suggested one might be okay in my mushroom / motile invert only tank.
I DO NOT intend to go the softies, LPS or SPS route, at least not in the near future.
Any insight from anyone??
Thanks so much, all! :)

Last edited:
MOO, it really depends on the individual fish. Most things I’m seeing say this species is likely to pick at polyps.

Thank you, grass!
Yeah, that's what I thought.
I might nix the Tahitian then.
I thought about getting a Copperband because I've read they are okay with mushrooms but I'm worried about two things: getting it to eat and how it will be with my Scopas Tang. I mean, my Scopas was cool enough with my Pakistan Butterflyfish but I don't know about he'll act around a Copperband.

Thank you, grass!
Yeah, that's what I thought.
I might nix the Tahitian then.
I thought about getting a Copperband because I've read they are okay with mushrooms but I'm worried about two things: getting it to eat and how it will be with my Scopas Tang. I mean, my Scopas was cool enough with my Pakistan Butterflyfish but I don't know about he'll act around a Copperband.
Zebrasoma tangs often will not tolerate a copperband. Too similar in shape, and they assume it is a competitor of food. I don't think a Tahiti butterfly would eat mushrooms. Mushroom corallimorphs are toxic to most anything.

Back