tang question

I'm looking at a powder blue, powder brown, purple and a yellow tang..... so i need some input here... im a year into reefing so i would say im still fairly new..... My first choice is a powder blue but my LFS that has been actually really trust worthy has told me that they are one of the more aggressive tangs. So i need some advice, which tang that i listed would pretty be my best choice?

Powder blue- seem to be very aggressive
Powder brown- no knowledge on them at all
Purple- pricey, heard they can be aggressive
Yellow- very common little knowledge on

GAAAH so many hard choices :(

iits not... i upgraded to a 180... i just need to buy the lights and a bigger skimmer.... but im obviously not packing my 75 with all those tangs

Powder blues, purples, and yellows all tend to be aggressive. Powder browns seem to be a bit more mellow but can be aggressive as well. With the blue tang and kole tang it really depends on what other fish you really want. What about colors? I'm not a huge fan of purple tangs because their coloration is so dark. Powder blues are lovely, but you do already have a blue fish. You may end up wanting the yellow to add that brightness to the tank.

I would just get whichever one you want the most but make sure it is the last one in. Even so, I would buy a fish trap with the powder blue because you'll almost certainly end up adding something after it, and since they are notorious for going after newcomers of all types you may want to get him out in a hurry.

I love the looks of the powder blues but i dont want anything THAT aggressive... my LFS even tried to steer me away from them.... I do like the powder brown though too.

Tangs tend to be much more aggressive to tangs that look like them. If you really want a powderblue you can up your bets by picking other tangs that look very different like a yellow/purple/scopas type or a bristletooth tang. You can also do what you do with african cichlids and add a few more Tangs. Once you get a bunch in there they usually just give up and 180g can support more than 3.

Having said that, Tangs do tend to have HUGE personalities so there are no guarantees. I saw a really mean Kole once.

well so far theres 2 clowns a watchman goby and a mystery wrasse that will go from my 75 over to the 180.... my future stocking list is blue hippo tang, kole tang, lawnmower blenny, flamehawk fish, blackcap basslet, diamond goby, 3 sunset anthias

Instead of getting Anthias that needs feeding several times a day you can just get some brightly colored plastic fish, much the same personality. :)

Time to duck and take cover.....

to be honest, I have no clue :) I have just heard that you need to feed them several times a day and given that you need to take into account how much food your other fish will gobble up and poop out I assume this might be a problem.

The reason I don't like Anthias is that they seem to fill no purpose or role in a reef tank. They just go from left to right and back to left again...a bit like a green chromis which I also can't stand. :) A clown pair will interact with their host; a wrasse will hunt for pods, tangs and angels will graze for algae and so on. They all keep busy with something that seems meaningful and natural to them. Anthias and Chromis just kinda sit there and swim a little in a random and pointless pattern, they don't even properly school. It looks unnatural which is the opposite of what I want to achieve with a reef tank.

to be honest, I have no clue :) I have just heard that you need to feed them several times a day and given that you need to take into account how much food your other fish will gobble up and poop out I assume this might be a problem.

The reason I don't like Anthias is that they seem to fill no purpose or role in a reef tank. They just go from left to right and back to left again...a bit like a green chromis which I also can't stand. :) A clown pair will interact with their host; a wrasse will hunt for pods, tangs and angels will graze for algae and so on. They all keep busy with something that seems meaningful and natural to them. Anthias and Chromis just kinda sit there and swim a little in a random and pointless pattern, they don't even properly school. It looks unnatural which is the opposite of what I want to achieve with a reef tank.

You got to be like project manager... Everyone! Make yourself busy at once. We are not going to pay you for doing nothing! :lolspin:
These fish are doing great job in the tank - they are awesome looking and easy to keep. Plus as you have noticed they are cruising the tank all the time drawing other fish out of their cavities. See there is enough work for every one!

Back