Tangs and clowns

snake1

Premium Member
Just curious I have a tomini tang and two clowns in my tank in the garage I'm about to shut it down ...can I put those fish in my main display a 144 gallon tank with a hippo, yellow, sailfin tang , a pair of black and white clowns that only stay in one corner of the tank permently, and a magnificent foxface and all will be peacefull. Please chime in .thanks......I guess my concerns are clowns vs clowns ..and the tomini having a similar body shape to the yellow and a fight starting

I combined two tanks which brought my clown population to 4 in a 180gal. Only 2 clowns remain after one was killed and one jumped out of the tank. The 2 remaining clowns are now paired and spawning. Just my experience...

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Given you already have two tangs that will at some point likely require a bigger tank, I'd say no to adding more. The clowns will likely fight at some point, but they might be ok. Are both pairs of clowns sexually mature?

I combined two tanks which brought my clown population to 4 in a 180gal. Only 2 clowns remain after one was killed and one jumped out of the tank. The 2 remaining clowns are now paired and spawning. Just my experience...

From what I believe they are both paired sets and both sets always stick by each other .but I'm not an expert on clowns ...if it's a bad idea I would rather them go to a good home

Given you already have two tangs that will at some point likely require a bigger tank, I'd say no to adding more. The clowns will likely fight at some point, but they might be ok. Are both pairs of clowns sexually mature?

I have never seen eggs ...but the pair in the main display I picked up from faois almost 8-9 years ago the female sure is a fat one, the male is still small they will both bite and attack your hand when near their rock and will not part ways, the male stays back with the rock even when food is presented and of course big fatty will never miss a meal. The two in the garage tank are both the same exact size but stay with each other at all times one tried to shake next to the other a few weeks ago but I haven't really seen a change...the tangs I know there is a challenge With similar body types and some will feel threatened and fight ..yes I know the sailfin is going to outgrow his home in the next few years but was wondering if the yellow and the tomini were a problem

I am by no means an expert either. Only one of the two pairs was mated in my situation.

I am by no means an expert either. Only one of the two pairs was mated in my situation.

That's exactly why I want to pick your brains I sometimes will see a tank with multiple clowns and say ok it can be done but were those added all at once ...I could see it now if the new clowns even try to go to the right side of the tank the big woman is gonna fight.... I just sat and watched her try to remove a snail from their area just because it was to close she stirred up a good sand storm

Prolly small war. Hippo gonna pick on everyone and clowns will most likely battle. Just my experience but no two situations the same in this hobby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We recently acquired a tank that had a yellow tang and a tomini. The tomini hounded that yellow tang so badly. It's fins were chewed down and it looked to be in need of several good meals while the tomini was in great shape. The original owner said he'd had them for years. I would find those a good home. Good luck.

Prolly small war. Hippo gonna pick on everyone and clowns will most likely battle. Just my experience but no two situations the same in this hobby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks mike yeah my hippo is definitely the boss ..then the sailfin. Then the yellow then Fox face that's the pecking order over here

My Tang's fox face and clowns get along fine for the past two years

Yeah mine do too but I'm a little on the fence more clowns and another tang with similar body shape and it's a cage match that I can't undo at that point

We recently acquired a tank that had a yellow tang and a tomini. The tomini hounded that yellow tang so badly. It's fins were chewed down and it looked to be in need of several good meals while the tomini was in great shape. The original owner said he'd had them for years. I would find those a good home. Good luck.

Thanks

A whilr back i aquired a pair of clownfish from my cousin and decided to place them in my old 75 gal. Which had another pair of clownfish and many other fish. To my suprise the clowns got along fine. They slept in pairs seoerately but during the day theg would hang out together with no hostility. Might have been a lucky chance though.

A whilr back i aquired a pair of clownfish from my cousin and decided to place them in my old 75 gal. Which had another pair of clownfish and many other fish. To my suprise the clowns got along fine. They slept in pairs seoerately but during the day theg would hang out together with no hostility. Might have been a lucky chance though.

See that's the hope, well I'm hoping for. Thanks

No prob. Id suggest taking all the clownfish and putting them in a bowl or something for a few hours then introduce them in to the tank. Might help some

I have never seen eggs ...but the pair in the main display I picked up from faois almost 8-9 years ago the female sure is a fat one, the male is still small they will both bite and attack your hand when near their rock and will not part ways, the male stays back with the rock even when food is presented and of course big fatty will never miss a meal. The two in the garage tank are both the same exact size but stay with each other at all times one tried to shake next to the other a few weeks ago but I haven't really seen a change...the tangs I know there is a challenge With similar body types and some will feel threatened and fight ..yes I know the sailfin is going to outgrow his home in the next few years but was wondering if the yellow and the tomini were a problem

What kind of clowns are in the garage?

I think the yellow and tomini would probably be fine if you removed the hepatus and sailfin.

What kind of clowns are in the garage?

I think the yellow and tomini would probably be fine if you removed the hepatus and sailfin.

The main tank I have black and white pair and the garage clowns are like a one bar or mis bar set one black and one orange I will try to get pics tonight

Back