Tank back ground color

spotfin

What is your preference? 54 gal corner tank that I will be painting the back sides. I'm thinking black, but blue might be nice too.

I didn't paint the back on my most recent build. I used a 'frosted glass' vinyl on this one. The wall behind it is a light green, so the wall color is muted, but shows through. It's still dark enough that any cables or plumbing behind the tank aren't noticeable unless you're looking for them.

I went this route after having issues with paint on glass being scratched on a a previous build. The film seems to hold up better for me.

Amazon looks to have window film in other colors, but I'm not sure how dark they would be.

On the tank I did paint, I went with black. It really made the colors in the corals and fish 'pop'. I also painted the PVC black and the filter box I used for my beananimal drain was black acrylic. It made everything along the back wall of the tank disappear.

I like both, but I do prefer lighter blue ones over darker blue. The black looks nice, but the blue seems more natural to me

I've always done black because my internal overflows have always been black. But, I also light the look of blue. I think the blue gives the illusion of more depth...or maybe my eyes are just messed up.

Back in the days of MH the shimmer effect on a blue background was really cool. Weirdly my GSP seemed to love it and grew all over it more than black or clear.

Thanks for the responses. I usually go with black, but was wondering if blue might look nice. Anyone care to post some pictures of your tank? Powerheads/pumps would blend in better with black.

Here’s my 40B with black background.

Attachments

• IMG_5655.jpeg
    IMG_5655.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
Back