Tank Build Advice

fng_71

I took apart a 125 gallon tank that i chipped real bad. I have decided to build a tank for my son with the glass. I'm making a 21"x21"x18"h aquarium. Building the tank is easy but i'm trying to figure out what kind of filtration I should use. The tank is going to be FOWLR. My son wants a porcupine puffer and some tangs. Do i need a sump or can i get away with a canister filter? I'm using 3/8" glass so I'm making it rimless. I've drilled tanks in the past so i'm not afraid to drill. Any advice on fish is welcome to. I'd like to leave it rimless so i'm looking for non jumping fish. not looking for carpet surfers. thanks in advance for all your help.

A large enough canister filter would be fine for a FOWLR tank.

With a Puffer in the tank you'd be looking at mostly aggressive species of fish or ones that can hold there own well with a puffer.

Groupers, Lionfish, some Triggerfish, Eels, ect....

thanks for the response. i was thinking of drilling the glass for the canister to keep it clean on top. i have an extra 12 inch heatsink that i was going to suspend over the tank since it will be rimless. i'll go with a basic lighting set up since i'm not doing any coral. i'm starting to wonder if this tank is more for me than my son. i just have the building bug.

Back