Tank Crash need help

PeetaCS

180 gallon tank 6ft
40 gallon sump

134 lbs of live rock

Upgraded from a 90 gallon

Accidently added 44 lbs of uncured live rock, caused a massive tank crash which killed 3 tangs (all around 4")
5 ocellaris clownfish (four juveniles 1 fully grown)
1 Blenny

I was able to retrieve the blenny's body and the body of my bristletooth tang but the rest rotted.

I didn't realize adding in uncured live rock would cause so much damage and it spiked my tank really bad. Now the leftover fish
2 foxface, a 6" naso, and blue tang are really lethargic.

All my fish were quarantined in copper so there's no ich, they still eat but barely. I've done a 75 gallon water change but i only just took out the live rock. How much more water do you think I should change?

Before somebody says I overstocked my tank, I realize this but I doubt that's what caused my tank to crash. I had four tangs, a rabbitfish, two ocellaris clowns and a blenny in my 90 gallon for three months with no issues. They were doing fine in this tank too until i added in the uncured rock.

Thanks fortall the help in advance

Have you tested your ammonia and nitrite levels yet? You kicked off a massive cycle and are going to need to monitor it and likely need many water changes until it stabilizes again. Even if the levels are ok now am sure the fish had some heavy stress and will take some time to recover, but you need to be testing the water frequently right now.

Have you tested your ammonia and nitrite levels yet? You kicked off a massive cycle and are going to need to monitor it and likely need many water changes until it stabilizes again. Even if the levels are ok now am sure the fish had some heavy stress and will take some time to recover, but you need to be testing the water frequently right now.

Ill test when i come back from work in a couple of hours. I tested after the huge water change but at that point i still had the rock in my tank. I didnt ealize that uncured rock was so lethal until today morning

Your 44lbs of uncured rock have caused an ammonia spike which is what is killing the fish. With the offending rock gone water changes and an ammonia neutralizer are your best bet.
How much water to change will depend on how high the ammonia is. Get some amquel or prime to detoxify the ammonia till you can get things under control as time is essential and if the ammonia is high which I expect it is then you will likely lose the remaining fish.

Your 44lbs of uncured rock have caused an ammonia spike which is what is killing the fish. With the offending rock gone water changes and an ammonia neutralizer are your best bet.
How much water to change will depend on how high the ammonia is. Get some amquel or prime to detoxify the ammonia till you can get things under control as time is essential and if the ammonia is high which I expect it is then you will likely lose the remaining fish.

Is stability by seachem good enough? I used the remainder of my bottle when my fish started to die but ill pick some more up later today. Theres a recommended dosing label, should I just use a but more though, will too much bacteria hurt?

Bacteria takes time, and you also have it in your tank already. The products you need are those A Sea K mentioned which will neutralize the lethal ammonia until your water changes and the bacteria already in the tank are all stable again.

Bacteria takes time, and you also have it in your tank already. The products you need are those A Sea K mentioned which will neutralize the lethal ammonia until your water changes and the bacteria already in the tank are all stable again.

Will this make my skimmer go nuts, the melafix I added did.

No clue, I've only ever used it for quarantine tanks. However, ammonia is your top concern right now. If you pass a pet shop on the way home I'd grab some. Get home and test the ammonia and you can then decide what to do. Most likely though you'll need it, or more continual water changes. If things keep dying it's a downward spiral for some time.

Edit: Speaking of skimmer, I'd run it wet for now anyway. You should be monitoring everything so close and doing water changes so not going to change your salinity much but pull out as much as it can without overflowing constantly.

Last edited:
No clue, I've only ever used it for quarantine tanks. However, ammonia is your top concern right now. If you pass a pet shop on the way home I'd grab some. Get home and test the ammonia and you can then decide what to do. Most likely though you'll need it, or more continual water changes. If things keep dying it's a downward spiral for some time.

Edit: Speaking of skimmer, I'd run it wet for now anyway. You should be monitoring everything so close and doing water changes so not going to change your salinity much but pull out as much as it can without overflowing constantly.

That's pretty upsetting, I thought I did everything right and I had such beautiful fish. I really hope the remainder of my fish survive. Do you recommend many water changes with the ammonia suppresant or just many water changes? Do you recommend a huge water change all at one time or just daily 25 gallon changes.

I've been just trying my best to keep these fish alive, the quarantining and everything so whatever you think is best I'll do.

Stability is good to get some more bacteria established for the new rock, but it will not bind the ammonia to make it non-toxic for the fish. As mentioned above, it needs to be Prime or AmQuel. With the rock creating the ammonia along with a lot of those fish producing ammonia also was probably what killed the fish off. Sorry for your lost, but when and if you do start over, please fill your tank properly with fish for the appropriate tank size.

I'd test your water as soon as you get home and post here for input from others. As long as you are detecting ammonia I'd keep doing water changes though, how big will depend on how bad it is but if you are home multiple changes would be better than a single large one, and the ammonia neutralizers will help keep that down in the interim. With the rock back out you may yet be lucky and get everything stable. Seems you still have a few fish rotting in there as well though?

I'd test your water as soon as you get home and post here for input from others. As long as you are detecting ammonia I'd keep doing water changes though, how big will depend on how bad it is but if you are home multiple changes would be better than a single large one, and the ammonia neutralizers will help keep that down in the interim. With the rock back out you may yet be lucky and get everything stable. Seems you still have a few fish rotting in there as well though?

Yeah, in total 8 fish. 4 juvenile clowns maybe an inch long, 1 mature 3 1/2 inch clown, powder blue 4", sailfin 3". My cuc is prett small. Only ten nessarius snails amd 10 red legged hermit crabs.

Well, you have to get home first, but if you can find it local I'd for sure get some Amquel or Prime. I think even Walmart carries Amquel. Once home test the ammonia ASAP and then try your best to find whatever is left of the dead fish as well. Also check your previous existing rock for anything obviously now dead and pull that stuff off as well. Hopefully you have plenty of salt on hand, or pick that up on the way home too.

Otherwise, try not to get TOO bummed. MOST of us have all made plenty of mistakes. You're on Reef Central now, ask questions, learn, and move on to enjoy your little piece of the ocean. Even when we disagree you'll usually get lots of options :)

You need to dose Prime/ or amquel daily with water changes until ammonia levels are back to 0 . I LIKE AMQUEL best . but i believe its only because its more available here..

Also be sure to get as much surface agitation as you can to help gas escape. if you do not have a skimmer or maybe even if you do run a air stone or two in a area where it will not fill the tank with bubbles but help move more water to surface...

Well, you have to get home first, but if you can find it local I'd for sure get some Amquel or Prime. I think even Walmart carries Amquel. Once home test the ammonia ASAP and then try your best to find whatever is left of the dead fish as well. Also check your previous existing rock for anything obviously now dead and pull that stuff off as well. Hopefully you have plenty of salt on hand, or pick that up on the way home too.

Otherwise, try not to get TOO bummed. MOST of us have all made plenty of mistakes. You're on Reef Central now, ask questions, learn, and move on to enjoy your little piece of the ocean. Even when we disagree you'll usually get lots of options :)

Ahh I just kept messing up along the way, lost a lot of livestock already and I'm out like 7300. After everything I thought I did everything right this time but bam, rocks bent me over haha. I envisioned my tank being a lot further along after all I invested but it can't get too much worse than this right :p.

I think the worst part of all this was the quarantining process and seeing everything mesh together after putting the fish in the DT. I tasted the good life for 4 weeks before all hell broke loose :(

You need to dose Prime/ or amquel daily with water changes until ammonia levels are back to 0 . I LIKE AMQUEL best . but i believe its only because its more available here..

Also be sure to get as much surface agitation as you can to help gas escape. if you do not have a skimmer or maybe even if you do run a air stone or two in a area where it will not fill the tank with bubbles but help move more water to surface...

I'm in Canada so I'm not 110% sure if I have those brands but I prpbably do. I'll 110% make sure I pick some up today. Thanks for suggestion, fingers crossed the last of my fish make it :D

How long does it take for a fish to rot conpletely? If i take apart my rockwork will the bodies still ne there? Would it be better to do that? Or will it stress out the fish too much

Hang in there. You're in the right place now for input. Everyone here is full of good advice and lots of opinions too :) Run things by the crowd before future changes once running again and don't throw in the towel. The die off from that new rock was just more than your system could handle, and betting you won't do THAT again anyway, so just have to remember to ask about other things before you do it down the road.

How long does it take for a fish to rot conpletely? If i take apart my rockwork will the bodies still ne there? Would it be better to do that? Or will it stress out the fish too much

I'll leave most of that to others. I'd do my best SHORT of dismantling everything though. Do you have a small powerhead on hand you could blow all the rock with and maybe blow some of them out?

Back