Tank of the Month - July '06

Great color!...I really love the look and layout of this tank....it isnt over crouded at all, and is pefectly balanced! :)

Sunny without saying, very nice tank. After reading the params of your system I noticed you mentioned nitrates were 'undectectable' I ask about this since for your size tank you do have a number of fish as well as keeping nice corals. I have been trying to get my nitrates down which range from 20-40ppm. I know my tank load is high but outside of the normal things like a refugium and water changes how do you keep the nitrates down?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7772794#post7772794 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by toccata
Sunny without saying, very nice tank. After reading the params of your system I noticed you mentioned nitrates were 'undectectable' I ask about this since for your size tank you do have a number of fish as well as keeping nice corals. I have been trying to get my nitrates down which range from 20-40ppm. I know my tank load is high but outside of the normal things like a refugium and water changes how do you keep the nitrates down?

TBH I have never had any Nitrate problems in this tank. I have many, many pounds or Live Rock in the tank along with an efficient skimmer. I preform my regular water changes and am careful of how much I feed.

Nitrates don't just happen, they are built up over time. Either you prevent them from accumulating or you dilute them with water changes. Make sure to use RO/DI, good Live Rock, efficient skimmer, reduce feeding, use carbon, and preform regular water changes.

I am new to reef keeping and notice that you said there was as small refugium in your sump. With that much flow, how do you prevent the algae from being sucked into the system? Could you post a really good picture of your current sump for me?

You need like a plastic mesh or egg crate to hold it back, it's easy to make one too. Just make sure water can flow through the plastic mesh or egg crate, but not your algaes.

I think I would rather go with the egg crate solution because it's firmer. Do you have any idea where I could pick up a piece of that material where it has small enough spacing to allow water through and at the same time hold back the algae without clogging?

Beautiful reef! I do have a question for you:

Feeding:

"The fish are fed Spectrum and Formula 2 pellets. They also receive Cyclop-eezeâ"žÂ¢ once every two weeks. No special foods are given to the corals."

How often do you feed the spectrum and formula 2 pellets?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7802094#post7802094 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jacob30
Beautiful reef! I do have a question for you:

Feeding:

"The fish are fed Spectrum and Formula 2 pellets. They also receive Cyclop-eezeâ"žÂ¢ once every two weeks. No special foods are given to the corals."

How often do you feed the spectrum and formula 2 pellets?

spectrum and formula 2 pellets are fed everyday along with Formula 1 and 2 flakes.

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts and your magnificent tank, I have started late in life with my obsession. but after several years with freshwater tanks I made the plunge and over the next year, I will be developing my own reef tank. I hope mine will blossom over time and one day make me as proud of it as you must be with yours! good luck! and God Bless Jim

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7805370#post7805370 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jcck1
Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts and your magnificent tank, I have started late in life with my obsession. but after several years with freshwater tanks I made the plunge and over the next year, I will be developing my own reef tank. I hope mine will blossom over time and one day make me as proud of it as you must be with yours! good luck! and God Bless Jim

Thank you. :D

Over time will grow to love this hobby more and more. Remember to be patient and do not get discoraged by the bumps in the road.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7802870#post7802870 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by NanoCube-boy
Dp, You can find some material at home depot, search online, I'm sure you can find it.

Already tried that... Everybody knows what it is. Nobody has it. Since I don't know the proper name for it, that makes it a bit hard to search for.

Back