Tank of the Month - July 2005

Been to see Tuan's tank this week and believe me, as good as the pics are there's nothing like seeing it in the flesh to take your breath away.

Looking down from above the tank those BTA's are huge and sooo colourful..

Superb

nursing anemone back to health

nursing anemone back to health

You mentioned a successfull recovery when your anemone got shredded. My rose anemone has been looking worse and worse for some time now... bleaching and shrinking with the weeks. I believe this is because I had some serious temperature problems that I only recently got worked out. Any tips in bringing it back to life and beauty?

--

I'm planning to locate my sump, refugium and frag tank, etc. in a remote room off my garage, on the same floor, about 35 ft away, but plumbing must go up in the ceiling of the garage and over to the remote room. The remote room was previously used as a dark room with a sink and climate controlled.

Plans include a stacked array set up much like yours with the return coming from the top.

I plan to control potential overflows with redundant float switches, adequate tank volumes and syphon breaks in the event of pump failure or power outages.

Plumbing between sumps will use 1" insulated pvc

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Elliott

Elliot, your plans sound right on so far. But how are you getting the water from the display to the sump room? Obviously not gravity. Are you pumping the water directly from the tank to the frag room or is it feeding to a sump under the display, and then to the frag room? Sorry if I misunderstood.

tlp, Im about to begin setting up a very similar system. The main difference will be size :D (mine will be a little smaller) and I will only have one sump. No WC sump even though I would love to have one. I just dont have the room. The fuge and prop tank will be on a rack behind the display just like your's. The frag tank will be above the fuge, which will be just a few inches higher than the sump. I would love to have the fuge gravity feed directly to the tank but it just wont work for me. Is there anything you would change about your system now that its several years old? Also, do you have any updated pictures of the display or any changes you have made to the filter room?

Again, BEAUTIFUL tank! Probably the most natural looking display I have ever seen.

Reefwaters: tank overflows will go to below tank sump, then pumped up and over to remote sump, pumped up to stacked frag, etc. to top fuge and return by gravity to tank

Tuan

Very nice reef, congratulations

I have an adult Emperor algelfish too and this get me some problems with some LPS and zoanthus. I have some euphylia and duncan with no problem at all. But others like candy can, acan, blasto, brain the emperor attacks. What LPS you have and what's the behavior of your emperor ??

Another question : You have SPS and LPS . Is your nitrate zero ? If yes your LPS are well ? Do you feed them ?

Thanks
Luiz Seadorf

The Emperor has started tasting fleshy LPS such as brain corals etc... has not touched Euphylia sp. corals though. I've removed most of the fleshy LPS corals anyway.

Other victims have been zoox and some of the mushrooms. I had a nice blue colony of zoox that disappeared overnight due to it. On the possitive side, it also demolish aiptasias too, so it's not all bad.

The LPS I have are OK, growing but I wouldn't say thriving specularily. Nitrates has never been detectable really with the large areas of deep sand beds in the tank. I don't especially feed the LPS directly, just feed the tank with meaty food like squid/mussel/clam meats all minced up finely at night when the corals are feeding.

:eek1:
That is possibly the most amazing tank I have ever seen!

It looks identical to the reefs off Thailand where I went diving!

Great job!!

:D

tlp,

It looks like it's been a while since the last post. Your tank looks great!!! I hope all is currently well. I have a couple questions:

1. Do you filter for phosphates?

2. Do you ever review the other TOTM? If so, do you have a favorite system?

3. Can you post a couple of current pics?

Your system is one of my favorites and seems to work without tons of piping and other mechanisms... Again, still looks awesome!

was just looking through the archives and found your tank...however i never really saw any pictures of your fuge after it was established. I saw that you said you had cheato in it and was just wondering if it is floating balls or do you have them secured to rock or in the sand bed. Also what do you think your flow through is on the fuge. I saw you said it was low flow but was just wondering what you consider low. Again the tank is amazing, and its kinda funny cause about a month ago my friend and i at work over a few days were designing my dream tank to build inwall in my living room (big room over 500 square feet) and the design was almost identical to yours, even the addition of an inline tank for water changes. Im gonna have to show him this thread on monday!

Back