Tank of the month - July 2012!

Tony, I am sorry to hear about the problems at home, as you said, life goes on and there are alot of better options in your future to look forward to rather than looking back :)

us reefers are here if you need anything :)

tank upgrade time soon maybe :)

Thanks for your kind wishes. The irony of upgrade time.........

To make things even more cutting, I've just completed some building works at home which include a 9ft x 3ft x 33inch tank, a hole in the wall, my dream tank. Here it is:

DSC_0282.jpg

:deadhorse:

Wow, that is an amazing array of color in your tank! The reflection off the water's surface threw me for a loop for a moment. Congrats on your TOTM award :)

WOW. The grow-out and colors are amazing. When I saw UK I thought this was gonna be one of those high maintenance balling Zeovit setups. Add 100 diff. drops of 10 diff. things every day, other day, weekly, etc. BUT there's very little you do. Seems even last than last months TOTM... which blew me away with all the old school equipment.

Thanks for your kind wishes. The irony of upgrade time.........

To make things even more cutting, I've just completed some building works at home which include a 9ft x 3ft x 33inch tank, a hole in the wall, my dream tank. Here it is:

:deadhorse:

nice ! next year's TOTM ;)

Hey Tony,

Beautiful tank and great upgrade. In regards to your skimmer, I have a 150g display and about 280 total water volume. Bio-load is average is light, but I plant to add more of a bioload. I presently use an ETSS 1400 on a Panworld 250. Works great, but the electricity on the pump is costing me $25/mon! Do you think the Reef Octopus Cone 5000 would compete with the ETSS 1400? I like the ETSS because it processes a lot of water.

Thanks

Tony,
Words really don't measure up under the circumstances you are facing at home. Been there :(. All I can say is things happen for a reason and a good attitude and positive thoughts despite the grief and pain you feel now will lead to something even better down the road. I promise!!!

Your tank is gorgeous, simple reefkeeping at its best!!! Much deserved :D.

Thanks for all the kind words people, much appreciated. :spin2:

Hey Tony,

Beautiful tank and great upgrade. In regards to your skimmer, I have a 150g display and about 280 total water volume. Bio-load is average is light, but I plant to add more of a bioload. I presently use an ETSS 1400 on a Panworld 250. Works great, but the electricity on the pump is costing me $25/mon! Do you think the Reef Octopus Cone 5000 would compete with the ETSS 1400? I like the ETSS because it processes a lot of water.

Thanks

^^^ Regarding the above question, I have no idea. I don't know anything about an ETSS and, and I don't know enough about Reef Octopus skimmers to advise you what one you'll need, I am sorry.

I think there's a sponsors forum on Reefcentral that has a dedicated thread to Reef Octopus skimmers, if you use the search facility I am sure you'll find it and get the advice you want. :thumbsup:

Tony

Nice work Tony. Can't believe I've not come round to see your grow out tank yet... maybe I'll wait till the display tank is in place.

Hope everything works out for the best for you :thumbsup:

It was a pleasure to feature your tank Tony.
That new build is really cool looking!
:-0

I keep meaning to ask you, have you ever experienced cyano or byropsis?
i'm having quite a time with these.
Very frustrating.

It was a pleasure to feature your tank Tony.
That new build is really cool looking!
:-0

I keep meaning to ask you, have you ever experienced cyano or byropsis?
i'm having quite a time with these.
Very frustrating.

Hi April,

For cyano I'd get a rainsford goby, as well as increasing flow. These gobies love eating cyano, also try a black sand sifting cucumber.

Byropsis hates high magnesium, slowly raise you magnesium level to at least 1500ppm but no more than 1560ppm and leave it there until problem goes.

Tony

Hi April,

For cyano I'd get a rainsford goby, as well as increasing flow. These gobies love eating cyano, also try a black sand sifting cucumber.

Byropsis hates high magnesium, slowly raise you magnesium level to at least 1500ppm but no more than 1560ppm and leave it there until problem goes.

Tony
Thanks so much! :beer:

Awesome tank Tony! Any updates on the new build? I want your opinion on a lighting question I have. I'm setting up a 60"x18"x14" SPS tank (some LPS). I see your TOTM tank dimensions are 60"x30"x19" and you are using an 8x54w fixture. I have been going back and forth between an ATI 48" 6-bulbx54w dimmable T5 fixture or an ATI 48" 4-bulbx54w fixture. If it was your tank which would you go with? Thanks, in advance.

Back