Tank of the Month - September 2002

Skipper

Premium Member
This month we are featuring Joe Burger's (JB_NY) beautiful 180 gallon reef:

More details can be found here or by clicking on the picture above.

Congratulations, Joe!

Awesome Tank DUDE!

Awesome Tank DUDE!

Great Choice.....I love your SPS garden Joe

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Excellent tank Joe, congratulations.

BTW, I'll take a frag of this, one of that, well you get the idea;)

Griss

There are a few tanks that I keep my eye out for when seeing who gets the tank of the month award...this was definitely one of them!! You have a very beautiful system- and might I add, a fish room to die for !

:D

Congrats!

Hey Joe, that is a beautiful tank you have there. Nice layout on the system and maintenance too!!

Congrats!!!!

Nanook

GREAT JOB! Very nice tank Joe.

I second the fish room to die for.

Kedd

Last edited:
Instead of bikering why not just sit and stare at his great accomplishment. this is one of the nicest tanks i have seen, he DESERVES this honor, look at all of his supplys he trule cares for his reef and it shows, dont try and spoil this achevment. way to go, congrats, and that good stuff, you have a wonderful tank.
once again most georgeous tanks i have seen

Hey Guys, Thanks for all the kind words. I've been working pretty hard to get the tank where it is today. The fish room is great, It give lots of room and isolation to do what ever I want. No more complaining that I have (3) 25 gal trash cans in the living room mixing up salt water. :)

It seems like every month, sps dominated tanks make the tank of the month award.
I definitely have more SPS that any other coral. But I've got a bunch of LPS too. Most of the LPS are pretty large corals taking over 8-10 inches of space. A huge Hammer and Frogspawn dominate the left side of the tank. I've also got a huge leather coral that is probably close to 12" long as well as xenia and a couple of gorgonians. Although, I don't keep anemones as they have a poor survival rate in an aquarium. SPS are just easier to acquire and trade with people. So I think if ones tank can has the lighting and current to support SPS corals, they tend to start to build up after a while.

JB congrats!

I do not think it's coincidence that many of the TOTM's have been SPS dominated. It's not about the way they look. Generally speaking, I think the common consensus is that SPS require more stable water, maintained calcium and alkalinity levels, etc.. It's not just that they require more work, but being successful with SPS usually shows a reef keeper who knows what he is doing. That's what tank of the month is about, setting up a tank the right way, not just growing the colors but knowing what you're doing. I'm not saying non sps dominated tanks say that you don't know what you're doing, not at all, just that if you're successful with keeping SPS it reflects on a more knowledgable/successful reefkeeper. I would also like to see LPS/soft coral dominated tanks for a change, but just because you don't see them a lot as tank of the month does not mean reef central is biased or something. I know I'm not.

I'm afraid I'm not worthy of scraping your algae.
Wonderful tank!

Awesome

Awesome

Totally awesome display!!! If i could ask how did the tank change when you recently added the fuge? Did you have nutrient excess before/ any less or more alge now? And also are you useing any mechanical (sponge) filters in the sump? Thanks.

I have moved the posts related to the discussion of the process of Tank of the Month selections to here.

Carry on with enjoying/discussing JB's awesome tank.

JBNY great tank and setup all reef keepers should envy you.I also love the room in the basement.That's a must.
Deuce

Back