Tank raised vs wild

ekoroknay

I have a local fish store tell me that the clownfish (non designrr) they had were 39.95. I thought the was really high and asked why are they so expensive and he told.me it was because they were tank raised. Am I wrong to think that that.is a very high price on "normal" clownfish, tank raised or not?

Tank raised Ocellaris around Ocala are under $15 and most designer ones are around or under $40

Last edited:
If the fish are in fact just captive bred (tank raised is actually something else) ocellaris, then yes, that price is way too high.

What's the difference?

"Captive bred" is the proper term in most cases. Captive bred fish are hatched / born in captivity from captive parents.
"Tank raised" technically means wild-caught juveniles reared in captivity. In this hobby they are often used interchangeably, but in reptile circles there is more of a distinction.

"Captive bred" is the proper term in most cases. Captive bred fish are hatched / born in captivity from captive parents.
"Tank raised" technically means wild-caught juveniles reared in captivity. In this hobby they are often used interchangeably, but in reptile circles there is more of a distinction.[/QUOT
I think they were just percs.

Back