tank rebuild, Sump debate

toddmau5

So the 265 is about to get moved to its new room finally, ghost overflow is being installed and now its time for the sump. Currently its running a 40 breeder and a 30g acrylic sump. I am torn between running a 40breeder and 50 tall. or two 40 breeders. I would like to have room for dosing containers and reactors, I could possibly remote the reactors and dosing containers, I just dont know how well the dosing pump will pull the fluid across the room, I could mount the dosing containers higher and let gravity do most of the work. Just torn between running the 40/50 which would give me 6 extra inches. or the twin 40s. The other debate im running through my head is 3/4" or 1" Return fittings into the tank.

Not sure what is better, but keep in mind that 40 breeders are cheap and easy to come by while a 50 usually has to be ordered. Also, it probably won't matter, but 50's have a middle support on the top frame.

Not sure what is better, but keep in mind that 40 breeders are cheap and easy to come by while a 50 usually has to be ordered. Also, it probably won't matter, but 50's have a middle support on the top frame.
I actually have a 50 tall being used as a sump on the temp tank (didn't think that part through) so I have one available and no center brace since it's 30X18X21

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I was assuming the 50 was 36x19x20 like my two. I don't think I have seen a 30" version before.

So the 265 is about to get moved to its new room finally, ghost overflow is being installed and now its time for the sump. Currently its running a 40 breeder and a 30g acrylic sump. I am torn between running a 40breeder and 50 tall. or two 40 breeders. I would like to have room for dosing containers and reactors, I could possibly remote the reactors and dosing containers, I just dont know how well the dosing pump will pull the fluid across the room, I could mount the dosing containers higher and let gravity do most of the work. Just torn between running the 40/50 which would give me 6 extra inches. or the twin 40s. The other debate im running through my head is 3/4" or 1" Return fittings into the tank.

You should be using a 75 gallon sump, (someone here is selling one cheap).
I have 185g and using 75 gallon sump. If the Main pump shuts off, you need room for the draining? Do not use a check valve they will fail one day.

Also most peristaltic pumps can go 20 ft high and 100ft across with no problem, for dosing. I know the GHL does.

You should be using a 75 gallon sump, (someone here is selling one cheap).
I have 185g and using 75 gallon sump. If the Main pump shuts off, you need room for the draining? Do not use a check valve they will fail one day.

Also most peristaltic pumps can go 20 ft high and 100ft across with no problem, for dosing. I know the GHL does.
If I end up going with a sump that tall I'll just make the jump to a 125

I bought acrylic and made my own because I couldn't find anything that really fit the space I had for the sump. Was not too difficult and I never worked with acrylic before either. It won't look perfect but who cares its utilitarian.

I bought acrylic and made my own because I couldn't find anything that really fit the space I had for the sump. Was not too difficult and I never worked with acrylic before either. It won't look perfect but who cares its utilitarian.
Yeah I've thought about this, is just really expensive to buy sheets of acrylic

Back