Tank Set Up and in Cycling process Help

ARTindall

Okay, so I just set up my 29 gallon saltwater tank, i have saltwater, live sand and live dry rock. I am looking for optinions on how to cycle properly. Right now I Have not added any bacteria or chemicals to my water, it is literally just 20 pounds of rock, about 25-30 lbs. of live sand and them saltwater. I have the filter running and the heater on. Should I Add bacteria or just let cycle. I am only going to have animals in this tank, no coral.

Cycle needs something to cycle. I'm still old school and would just add a hardy fish but that seems to be frowned upon these days. A lot of people dose ammonia and bacteria and cycle for a few weeks (there's lots of instructions for this online but I've never done it). I personally would just get some FritzZyme Turbostart 900 and add a few fish.

Okay, so I just set up my 29 gallon saltwater tank, i have saltwater, live sand and live dry rock. I am looking for optinions on how to cycle properly. Right now I Have not added any bacteria or chemicals to my water, it is literally just 20 pounds of rock, about 25-30 lbs. of live sand and them saltwater. I have the filter running and the heater on. Should I Add bacteria or just let cycle. I am only going to have animals in this tank, no coral.
How much time do you have? If you can wait, throw in a dead shrimp and wait....or do what Kharma said )get a damsel as they are the hardiest). If you can't wait then get add the chems.......

Ideally Fritz TurboStart 900 is supposed to be dosed in any tank new or old and add few small fish right away. You will never see a cycle.
We do this in our warehouse when and if we have some outbreak, we bleach the entire system and then drain it next day. let it air dry for 24 hrs and fill it back up and dose 3-5 times the recommended dose and start releasing fish to the system.
We are back up and running in 3 days. Imagine being a business for qtying fish, if we were to cycle old school it would take 1 to 1.5 months just to cycle after every bleach. we will be down most of the year.

Last edited:
Back