tank troubles

ajcjr420

I have a 120 gallon display, with 55 gallon sump , two 5 gallon surge devices and a Dolphin World Series
Dual Performance 5600/4700 on a closed loop. I have three 250w 20k halides I only keep the two end ones on at the moment, 2 96w power compacts and two 65 w power compact actinics. I also have an aqua medic protein skimmer with an ocean runner 6500 as well as a phosban reactor and a reactor for carbon. I drip kalkwasser also. After slowly putting all this together I cant do anything with it. The tank has been set up for 3 months. after about two months i started introducing coral to the talk all the while I had 3 mollies a six line wrass and a goby in the tank. Any coral that I have put in the tank has either died or refuses to display. My snails also died within one week from introducing them to the tank but the hermits are fine. The only piece of coral that seems to be doing well is a mat of green star polyps. my ph is 8.4 dkh 8 nitrite 0 nitrate 0 phosphate un detectable cal 440 I'm am a newbie but I learned quicky about reef tanks, I'm not an expert but I do know the basics and fundamentals of a reef tank. All im saying is I know I'm not making a common mistake. The only conclusion I could think of is toxicity and if that is the case will whatever it is work itself out? I have a 20 gallon nano that i started about 5 mos ago that is doing awesome, just sucks I cant transfer anything from it to the big tank. Any help is appreciated. How can I be so successful with my first tank and this tank, I cant for the life of me figure out

source water, or copper plumbing(but I'm assuming you don't have any copper/brass plumbing on your tank)

I just reread your original post and says that you have 8 nitrite. That would indicate that the cycle still hasn't finished, but that would be a really long cycle so something weird going on there. You didn't list ammonia - have you checked that?

His dkh is 8 (which is a bit on the low side), his nitrite is at 0. Simple question...how did you acclimate your livestock to the tanks?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14802799#post14802799 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BuddhaKiss
His dkh is 8 (which is a bit on the low side), his nitrite is at 0. Simple question...how did you acclimate your livestock to the tanks?
Thanks for that, I misread it. I don't think the 8 dkh is low enough to be a real problem, but the acclimation definitely could be, good thought.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14802799#post14802799 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BuddhaKiss

NSW averages about 7dkh so 8 should be fine.

did you buy the tank new or used? If it was used it could have had copper used in it in the past and that would be your problem.

Back