Testing question

Corie1284

Do forgive me if this isn't the right forum for this question...Testing: so I know, super important, I have a few different brands for different tests...I have a heck of a time with the ones that are color charts, they look different in every different type of light I have in my house. I have a few Salifert tests and where I find those easier I still feel like I can easily mess them up. Anyway, my question is, is there a system that constantly monitors the parameters of the tank for you? If not, what is the best digital test kit out there? I want allllll the tests to be digital if possible lol. Thank you in advance and I apologize if this has been discussed already, I searched but didn't come up with anything.

Hanna checkers analize your sample and give you a digital readout but you still have to prepare the sample. I think the Ultra low Phosphate and Alkalinity checkers are must haves but they make many reef related testers.

https://hannacan.com/brands/marine-line

The Neptune Trident will measure calcium, alkalinity and magnesium in real time but you need an Apex system.

https://www.neptunesystems.com/products/expansion-modules/trident/

The mastertronic does calcium, alkalinity, magnesium, nitrate and phosphate + more. I believe it uses normal test reagents (ie. Salifert) but I also think this is an iffy product from the online comments I have seen.

Mastertronic - Core Products - Products

Another one…I can’t say I’ve heard much bad besides cost is the GHL Ion Director (measures Ca, Mg, K, Na, NO3) and KH director (measures KH). Can be used in conjunction with dosing pumps for stabilization.

***I have no experience with GHL products, I just know it’s an option

I had the same issue with the color chart ones, namely nitrate and phosphate. I went to Hanna checkers on those and would never go back. Once you have alkalinity, calcium and magnesium dosing dialed in, you don't really need to test them very often. Being off by a drop or 2 in the Salifert tests isn't going to be very significant since you shouldn't be chasing exact numbers. Health of the tank inhabitants is more important.

Back