testing stand welds ?

saltwaterexotic

I welded a steel stand today it's only a 36x24x36" tall stand 60 gal tank but my question is how do you guys test it is welded good and please don't say full tank with water lol it feels solid but I want to here from others. I'm not a pro welder only fable with it now and than.

a pic would help to determine how the welds are…if the welds are solid i would assume that it will be fine, as long as it is designed properly..that said i would say if the burn marks in the steel around the welds is as thick as the steel you are using or a little thicker then you likely got enough penetration…then it comes down to how the beads were laid…

as for testing…stack 600 pounds of something on it and give it a little push from the sides and front and see if it moves or breaks

if your not experienced enough to be confident in your welds, then get someones help.

you cant really test your welds without destroying your stand, its best to practice on scrap, then attempt to bust it apart, until your good at welding.

Ultrasound or X-ray are the only ways to make sure your welds are good. That's what the pros do when dealing with high pressure situations. 1st hand experience here...

Now for the realistic ways to get you somewhere:

Clean the welds with a brush or something so the sudd is gone. Take some pictures from several angles and post them here. I can probably tell you from those if your good to go.

The next thing I would do if you have any doubts is to smash one of your welds ((the one that looks like crap)(probably your 1st or last weld)) with a one pond hammer with as much power as you can. If it survives I would say your good.

Ultrasound or X-ray are the only ways to make sure your welds are good. That's what the pros do when dealing with high pressure situations. 1st hand experience here...

Now for the realistic ways to get you somewhere:

Clean the welds with a brush or something so the sudd is gone. Take some pictures from several angles and post them here. I can probably tell you from those if your good to go.

The next thing I would do if you have any doubts is to smash one of your welds ((the one that looks like crap)(probably your 1st or last weld)) with a one pond hammer with as much power as you can. If it survives I would say your good.

thank you I will as soon as it's complete

don't have 600 lbs laying around to test with lol I was thinking a hammer test .what you mean burn marks ?

when you lay the beads you will se the metal heat up and burn a little bit outside the weld"¦if it doesn't burn you are likely not using enough heat which would make a bad weld

bed liner spray

bed liner spray

I got stand complete and found a product for only $9.95 that worked great it's a textured rubberized coating for truck beds

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 0
Back