the best calcium reactor for sps.

I run a geo and love it. However I would like to try a Dastaco if I could afford it. They just look simple.

Corey

Then let me be the first to complain. Geo was amazing when I ordered my 612 reactor. He built it custom in order to ensure it's fit in my sump. But he said a 2nd stage was not going to be needed so I ordered w/o one.
Well fast forward 2 years and not only do I wish I had the 2nd stage but my reactor isnt keeping up with my 90g mixed reef. I emailed him 2x to see why but got no response. Taking matters into my own hands, I decided to clean the setup and use smaller media for increased surface area. In doing so, I found an o-ring sitting on the counter where I had cleaned it the next morning. Not sure where it belonged, I put it aside for later and went to work. Of course it was thrown out by someone by the time I got back home. SO I emailed him for help (twice) but got no response. I decided to guess which one it was so went on the site and order one. It's been about 2 weeks and no o-ring. I emailed for the status and still no response. Personally, I wish I went with another manufacturer. I want to switch out the media again but I want to have that o-ring in hand in hand so I dont have to break the whole thing down again once I receive it. So now I'm stuck waiting for a $3 part while my $500 investment doesn't meet it's expectations or appear to be functioning at 100% and am having to dose Kalkwasser daily.

I know this is an older thread when it originally was started. Perhaps by now you have made a decision so take this for what it's worth at this time. I recently purchased a full blown calcium reactor package. I used a reactor roughly 13-15 years ago and swore I would never purchase one again! Waay to finicky to adjust with needle valves, feeder pumps etc. Today I have a larger system with all sps. The calcium and alkalinity demands were becoming cost prohibitive. I was purchasing 4 gallon 2 part monthly and although I have the time to manually dose (I have had issues with dosing pumps as well) I finally got tired of dosing and needed to move to a reactor to keep up with demands. I did a lot of reading and had decided on a Dastaco. Problem was I couldn't get one for months for they were back ordered. Gave me an uneasy feeling if a problem arose how long until parts would be available. I had dealt with overseas manufacturers before and it wasn't always good. Personally I chose a Geo reactor with a second stage, a carbon doser regulator and a Masterflex pump. Expensive...yes...however I need a unit I can trust to run consistently if I'm out of town etc without worry of inconsistency of breakdown. I consulted a group of reefers and not one had a complaint of the combo. So far I have been pleased with the units and quality AND if something goes wrong everything is here in the states. Gives me more peace of mind.

+1 for Dastaco. Purchase a couple months ago and it was so easy and has been very reliable. I’ve done bubble counters etc. This thing dials itself in with a know. One of the few pieces of gear I’d get on a soap box about.

Currently running a large aquarium engineering cal reactor, using a carbondoser run by ph controller, its rock solid

Back