The budget bruiser LED build...

Just waiting on the controller/driver board from a certain someone :cool:

nice i'm watching that thread i hope he gets his light going. its a nice controller neater wiring than my setup.

I wired up the drivers to the LEDs on my reef setup last night. still waiting on another pi to get it going but at least got the tricky soldering part done, and got all of it tested.

I see an edit button on all my recent posts, somehow. I've also given myself quite a shock to see that I've been a member of the forum for over thirteen years :eek1:

Looks like a basic LM3414 design or similar... but seems to have inverted logic?

High level turn off the output
Low level Open the output

Easy enough to deal with if true.

In my experience with most Chinese electronic devices the capacitors tend to be the weak point, but for something like this I bet they would work just fine.

With LDD-L drivers being as cheap as $3.49 each shipped from LEDsupply it's a small savings though, and they aren't potted either, which may matter to some.

Just waiting on the controller/driver board from a certain someone :cool:

I'm waiting on a solder stencil, the one I ordered was a no-show :sad2: I could hand-solder them like I did for mine but I think the soldering quality will be better with the stencil.

nice i'm watching that thread i hope he gets his light going. its a nice controller neater wiring than my setup.

The light is ready to go as of last night, updated to get 0.1% dimming resolution to get really low for moonlight and it looks good. Installed the hanging kit, endcaps and splash shield last night, just gotta hang it now. Going to wait till the weekend to keep an eye on things though.

Hey, I'm in no real hurry :wave:

I'd rather it be easy to do right so I get my two perfect boards.:D

Still haven't had the time to fool with code yet.

Hey, I'm in no real hurry :wave:

I'd rather it be easy to do right so I get my two perfect boards.:D

Still haven't had the time to fool with code yet.

Sounds good, replacement was sent yesterday. I noticed a bug with the code last night where right when it finished ramping from full brightness to the sunset level the cool white channels went to full brightness before turning off. Always fun chasing down the last random bugs :headwally:

Hate waiting for parts to arrive... Threw together a design for an 8 channel driver since I can't build anything yet

0CIPEYj.png

Does it make sense to use a barrel connector with a header for PWM? Better to just use wire to board connectors for input voltage as well perhaps?

As to powering the board.. Whatever works for 8A @ 60V DC for a run of 12 feet.. ;)

16GA would probably do...

Hate waiting for parts to arrive... Threw together a design for an 8 channel driver since I can't build anything yet

0CIPEYj.png

Does it make sense to use a barrel connector with a header for PWM? Better to just use wire to board connectors for input voltage as well perhaps?

I personally like to use 1/8" stereo headphone style jacks for PWM, but a header would work too. Could always do up a quick harness to plug into it that runs to the endcaps of the fixture, also more versatile for running things like cat6 RJ45 sockets for PWM.

For power, barrel jacks work if used in ratings, but I would want something like a screw terminal strip or Molex headers up at High currents.

For power, barrel jacks work if used in ratings, but I would want something like a screw terminal strip or Molex headers up at High currents.

Consulting the computer geeks..
http://www.overclock.net/t/1562670/molex-amperage-limit/20
The safe limit for #18 wire is about 12.5 A, then #16 is 15 A. The actual Molex connector itself is the weak point though.

I made up a testing bench for HID headlights and two 35 W ballasts pull about 6 A each form the 12 V rail on start-up then fo down to about 3.1 A each. After a couple months of on off cycles, the Molex connector turned from a semi opaque white to having brown burn marks all around it. So I would definitely stick to 11 A (132 W) on the 12 V side as the maximum current being pulled from a single cable coming out of the PSU.

I personally like to use 1/8" stereo headphone style jacks for PWM, but a header would work too. Could always do up a quick harness to plug into it that runs to the endcaps of the fixture, also more versatile for running things like cat6 RJ45 sockets for PWM.

The barrel jack used on the Wemos board is only rated for 6A I think so I'll probably change it to something like the PTSM series (same connectors used on the blue acro driver) with two pins for positive and negative. RJ45 would be nice but it's only 8 wires so you don't have enough. I'll probably just leave it as a header for signals so people can use what they want, no point trying to limit it since it's not an all-in-one type board anyway.

How about getting fancy and add parallel printer cable connector?

Centronics 36

Better db15..........

The barrel jack used on the Wemos board is only rated for 6A I think so I'll probably change it to something like the PTSM series (same connectors used on the blue acro driver) with two pins for positive and negative. RJ45 would be nice but it's only 8 wires so you don't have enough. I'll probably just leave it as a header for signals so people can use what they want, no point trying to limit it since it's not an all-in-one type board anyway.

Headers are very versatile, I'm happy with a header. The sky's the limit with custom harnesses :cool:

DC in via the solderless connectors that are on the BlueAcro gear would be sweet.

Boards are done [emoji2] tested all channels at full power using the wemos from my light and everything worked great! Down side is I don't really have any packing stuff at home so I'll probably have to wait till Monday to cut up some packing stuff...
bf0a0a747d320d7ded4f1e19eebd1d0f.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Back