The Evo-lution - Fluval 13.5 - Softie Tank

reefing102

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori
Premium Member
So just bought a Fluval Evo 13.5 over Black Friday. This was the upgrade of my 3 gallon pico. I jumped ahead with everything today. That 3 gallon was a wreck and emptying the sand, some sulfur pockets had definitely developed.

The plan:

Put almost all of my softies from my 65 gallon into this tank (thinking I may keep my orange Yuma in it depending on what rock it’s on)

Anywho, the current equipment list:

Evo 13.5 with stock lighting. No plans to upgrade the light at all - should be sufficient for softies
Hygger Mini Wave Maker - 1500gph version
IOAOI 50W Heater
Geeni 6 Outlet Smart Power Strip
15lbs of Crushed Coral - This was done mainly cause it’s all I had on hand and it will make fragging and gluing to frag plugs super simple.

Need:

ATO set up

Current livestock:

Live rock (6lbs roughly)
Yellow Tail Damsel

Corals to be added when I get around to it:

Green star polyps
Neon Green Toadstool
Kenya Tree Coral
Pulsing Xenia
Neon Green Sinularia
Green Rhondactis Mushrooms
Interstellar Mushroom
Blue Stripe Blood Jawbreaker

Here it is as it currently sits:

0_IMG_0240.jpeg

Just a quick update photo. Tank cleared up nicely by the next day. Added some snails and crabs from my Petco order.

Gonna give it a few more days then likely start transferring coral. I’m guessing I will likely have to remove some rock to add some of these as they’re quite large

Still need to get some back ground to go around the back and “sump” sides

0_IMG_0273.jpeg

Last edited:
Just a quick update photo. Tank cleared up nicely by the next day. Added some snails and crabs from my Petco order.

Gonna give it a few more days then likely start transferring coral. I’m guessing I will likely have to remove some rock to add some of these as they’re quite large
Picture didn't post :(

Nice tank. Keep posting more pics. I found a work around of picture file issue. Simply use the attach files, then use the camera feature.

Could have swore I posted another updated pic. Many softies moved over. Still have a large Kenya tree colony, my green sinularia, toadstool and if there’s still room, the GSP island. Sorry for the poor pic quality. Took it on the fly
0_IMG_0413.jpeg

The water level drops evenly in all chambers. No built in timer. An external timer can be used and it will default to whichever setting you have the lights on (either all LEDs or only blue)

Thank you. So if all three chambers drop equally, there's a good chance your heater will crack unless you keep it in the main tank? The manufacturer site shows the heater in the chamber with the return pump.

1709063985360.png

Last edited:
Thank you. So if all three chambers drop equally, there's a good chance your heater will crack unless you keep it in the main tank? The manufacturer site shows the heater in the chamber with the return pump.

View attachment 32397349
Wow. I never even thought about that. Makes the need for an ATO even more important. Hopefully my heaters not fried as I’ve let it get a little low before.

There’s vents in the baffle between the first and second chamber that allow it to “balance” out evaporation wise among all the chambers.
IMG_0812.jpeg

Is this a concern with titanium heaters? I know with glass it would be for sure but, I'm not sure about titanium.
The glass was a problem due to overheating and breaking, but I would think that the titanium heater still has a chance of burning up the heating element without external water cooling.

Back