the gorgeous enemy - jaw dropping zoanthid eating nudi

here are a few more nudi pics. Not the best pics i have taken, but I was in a hurry to snap a few pics and get them buggers out of there.

green nudi on green zoas
greennudi.jpg

here is a green nudi on non-green zoas
nudi1a.jpg

and here is yet another..
nudi1b.jpg

here are a couple that i just took.. after looking at this thread i went over to look at the tank, and low and behold.. what did i find.....

nudi1c.jpg

nudi1d.jpg

here is a pic of some nudi eggs, its the white spiral thing, and if you look above the eggsack, there is a nudi, probably the same one that laid them.

nudieggs.jpg

wow - great shots Snakebyt! as in the past, may i have permission to use these on ZoaID.com too?

almost as many nudi's on there as zoas! LOL! or... cry...

couple more shots from weatherson posted w/ permission (thx weatherson!):

667_nudi.jpg

and... closer....

668_nudi_close.jpg

weatherson caught some great shots of pre-nudis... the eggs!

they were interesting to me, thought they'd be interesting to you!

thx joe!!

694_nudi_eggs.jpg

695_nudi_eggs2.jpg

Whodah.

What do you think these nudis are actually feeding on? Their camo seems almost a bit too close to the actual zoa color. It is almost like they are feeding off of the zoas zooxanthellae.

Some nudis have the ability to chew on the polyps / symbiotic algae etc of their prey and then transfer it to the tentacles on their backs where it continues to live giving the almost perfect comouflage in those excellent pics. If they eat anemones or other stinging corals the anemones poisonous nemocysts are transferred to the nudi's tentacles giving it firepower it doesn't normally have.

Brian

I HATE these suckers!!! I just got done killing over a 100 of'em from my tank. I hope I don't see those suckers anymore!!! At first I thought, OH what a pretty bright orange little slug, then I found it eating the zoo polyp, but it laid eggs already. Down the drain they go!!!! My zoos are MUCH happier now without those suckers munching them down to nothing.

Back