The tank of doom... help me!

The tank of doom... help me!

Checked everything that's in water, swapped the heater out for my spare one, only thing with a magnet is the powerhead, but looked ok... any way to test the stray voltage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it a vortech? If so, take the wet side apart and check the magnet casing. They have been known to come apart at the seams, like the picture below. I've seen more than one instance of this taking out multiple corals...
5cdeb7d34a93b728ed8a7e66f89dff90.jpg

For stray voltage, you can use a voltmeter or multimeter. Walmart has them for around $15 I believe. To correct it, you'd want to run a grounding probe and replace whatever equipment is causing it. It's pretty cheap to ground your tank, and isn't a bad idea in any case.

Last edited:
Pick up a rid a volt probe at LFS or amazon. I run one on each of my systems as a just in case precaution.

Pick up a rid a volt probe at LFS or amazon. I run one on each of my systems as a just in case precaution.
FYI..
They should ONLY be used in combination with a GFCI device and are only to cause an instant trip of the GFCI due to a product failure..
They should not be used to provide a path to ground when you have faulty equipment..

Is it a vortech? If so, take the wet side apart and check the magnet casing. They have been known to come apart at the seams, like the picture below. I've seen more than one instance of this taking out multiple corals...
5cdeb7d34a93b728ed8a7e66f89dff90.jpg

For stray voltage, you can use a voltmeter or multimeter. Walmart has them for around $15 I believe. To correct it, you'd want to run a grounding probe and replace whatever equipment is causing it. It's pretty cheap to ground your tank, and isn't a bad idea in any case.

It's an eheim, but I'll get it apart in any case, have a multimeter, I'll check that too!

Not sure if this helps. You say you moved. Does the municipality you reside in have any of the chemicals that a standard RODI cant filter?
Also, what is the source of your live rock?

Not sure if this helps. You say you moved. Does the municipality you reside in have any of the chemicals that a standard RODI cant filter?
Also, what is the source of your live rock?

Town water is the same as my last place, I'm only a mile down the road...
Live rock is/was dead rock that I never used when I set up my last tank, it's been in a box in the garage for a couple of years, looked pretty much clean when I set it all up, but I never bleached it or anything

Ok so over the last 24 hours the polyfilter has turned blue, so there's copper there, how do I go about removing it? Just keep replacing polyfilters? Or tear down and clean everything?

Quick update, thanks again everyone for your help, after running a polyfilter and a bag of cuprisorb, chucking out my wavemaker and heaters, I tried a snail, all good, now my last anenome, a few more snails, and a couple of small coral have all moved in with no dramas! Still not sure what the culprit was, but seems to be all fixed.

Back