The true meaning of sustainability

ladyonyx

The concept of a sustainable marine aquarium trade is a desirable and attainable goal for the future of our trade/hobby. Having the option to buy fish and corals that have been harvested in a sustainable fashion that not only doesn't harm the environment, but actually helps to protect and restore it, would be ideal. Sustainability is of course not the only consideration when discussing wild collection; things such as equitability, profitability, and affordability are equally as important to the ultimate success of a sustainable marine aquarium trade, as are complete supply chain transparency, superior product traceability, and sound scientific principles and data on which to base collection. SEASMART is a company that is capable of doing this, and it would be great to get a discussion going about what sustainability means to people in every part of this trade from the hobbyists, to the store owners, to the collectors, to the distributors, and everyone in between. All comments are welcome. Bubbles up!

Check out SEASMART's campaign here: http://www.indiegogo.com/seasmart-ecoez?a=1183507

I haven't gone through the entire website above yet, but just on the surface, the concept of sustainability I feel is necessary and needs to penetrate this hobby more so and faster than it already has.

I would gladly pay more for livestock with "Certified Sustainable" stamp. After doing some dives in the Red Sea and Bali recently, we better all come to terms with sustainability or the hobby isn't going to be around much longer.

I know the aquarium hobby is a very small part of the damage being done, but if we like to talk about protecting our reefs, then we should be doing all we can in our hobby to help protect them also.

I haven't read the website yet because I am on my mobile, but I'd like to point out I am a breeder and hope there is someday room for the breeding cottage industry in a sustainable future. Some kind of certification system would be nice to have so we could have an easier time getting into the distribution system so we could spend more time breeding and less time trying to prove our stock to each new distributer. I would like to someday see rare or endangered species going to breeders instead of collectors so we can keep harvesting to a minimum.

Back