The ultimate CSS Coralife Super Skimmer 65 mod

spicytofu

Background:

Plain and simple: not enough foam (or skimmate)

I have tried the needle wheel mesh mod with 6 lb fishing line and bypassed the valve between the pump and inlet to skimmer. While the bubbles were great, this skimmer has two inherent problems: Low volume flow (water and air mixture) and too short contact time.

Here is what the CSS 65 looks like. Note short inlet tube. Bubbles start already half way up!
TC5ypsC.jpg

ICzcUPm.jpg

The mod: (obviously this requires you to have a sump)
Zm8pLk8.jpg

You will need to cut the valve piece in half, keeping the portion on the pump side. It is 3/4" dia so it was easy to make this hole.
Pu3neaT.jpg

Without the 90 degree pvc, bubbles were coming out into the sump. Like all the other commercial skimmers, i need one in there
HhR8Rud.jpg

EVenpYu.jpg

ready for first run, note I cut off that ugly and useless middle tube and blocked the opening
Wc88m8R.jpg

success! Some bubbles were escaping because it hasnt settled. The bubbles coming has been reduced greatly after a few hours of starting back up. My bubble traps takes care of the rest, if any.
Wr60elg.jpg

Hey [MENTION=332561]spicytofu[/MENTION], how did this mod perform over time? was it quiet? Did you end up enjoying it enough to keep it?

I got a CSS 65 for free, and trying to figure out if I should take the time to make this mod for my insump simmer, or just buy a new bubble magus or K2

I have a reefer 170 w/ a sump and fuge

Back