There's a Volcano in my house!!!

Well the OR's are 38watts each. Still better than my old PCX-55HD driving my MRC skimmer. Not that there is anything wrong with that. I may try an MRC recirculating skimmer some day soon!??!

It's already producing some nasty stuff. I'll post pics of it tonight hopefully!!

posted this in the Volcano Club thread, but thought it would fit nicely here as well....

My Volcano minus the collection cup...

IMG_0040-2.jpg

IMG_0041-2.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

...and with the collection cup, I get this in about 2 days...

IMG_0035-1.jpg

IMG_0036-1.jpg

gosh it is nice to see that baby up and running again. I loved that skimmer, it just would not fit into the 90 and was too small for 400+ gallon water volume. Andre knows, he has been to my place. Hey James, did you ever get that extra Ocean Runner, or did UPS lose it permanently? I can't wait to put that bubble master in my 90 and see how much I can strip from the water column. :)

by mtfatwork
Hey James, did you ever get that extra Ocean Runner, or did UPS lose it permanently?

I only know that I did not receive it. I cannot say who is responsible. The other was a box from Premium Aquatics. IS that where it came from??

by mtfatwork
I can't wait to put that bubble master in my 90 and see how much I can strip from the water column. :)

Oh crap!! Or should I say, Oh Skimmate!! That BM200 pulled out thick crud that you could wipe off with your finger and almost puke!! Those Sicce pumps are something to behold!!

it was actually sent from premium aquatics parent company.

Glad to hear it. Hopefully the BM will be here tomorrow :)

Hey there James, how's it going? Nice looking nog maker you got there. I just upgraded to a Euro Reef CS8-3+ myself. I am still tinkering with it and only have one pump running on it so far. Will be hooking up two recirc pumps to it this weekend and by the way you said you have other priorities over fiddling with your skimmer? WHA? Fish tank stuff IS priority!!!

by Freed
Hey there James, how's it going? Nice looking nog maker you got there. I just upgraded to a Euro Reef CS8-3+ myself. I am still tinkering with it and only have one pump running on it so far. Will be hooking up two recirc pumps to it this weekend and by the way you said you have other priorities over fiddling with your skimmer? WHA? Fish tank stuff IS priority!!!

I am currently running only 3 of the 4 OR2700's on it now. You want a recirculating pump?? Let's talk!! I want to eventually try something like Sicce's or similar on this beast. I will not be going to an external pump though, like a Dart.

Hey, I bought a replacement Aquabee 2000 from Deltec for my calcium reactor but they sent me a pump with a needlewheel impeller and a skimmer intake but evidently they didn't want it back for some odd reason so they sent me the correct pump finally anyway so I'll be using the one with the NW impeller as a recirc. I also have a KSP3500 I'm going to use as a recirc too so I'm hooked up there. Thanks for the offer though.

It's what Euro Reef includes with alot of their skimmers. I think it's in the Sedra line of pumps(?).

Based on what I have been reading here on RC, I am considering replacing my pumps with a single Laguna or a couple other low watt/high air draw pumps. Neat stuff out there, but also a conversation that gets people's blood racing.

So what have you come up with so far? Any updates? I ended up going with the Sedra 5000 as the main skimmer feed and the Aquabee 2000 as a recirc. I did have all 3 pumps(including the Sedra 3500 as a recirc) running originally but all 3 running was just overloading the skimmer with nothing but water pouring out the top of the cup so the 5000 and the Aquabee is a perfect combo to end up with together on this skimmer. The combo of the two gives me more of a wet-ish foam and a medium tea colored nog. I am getting the equivalent of a full cup of tea every few days. Of course I have the skimmer cup plumbed to my main floor drain in the basement so I don't have to worry about emptying the cup every few days. ;)

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1471253

I have it up for trade at the moment. Looking for an MRC type skimmer. Would possibly do an MSX, Octo or similar. In the meantime, I may shoot for the Laguna 1500 with the special volute. A friend is going to let me try one out. I know all of that is contradicting, but I am afraid to do the DIY stuff to that skimmer for fear of killing it. I am better off with a set it and forget it skimmer. I may just get the pair of Sicce's and be done with it.

I am bumping this thread because I am trying to modify it to run more efficiently. Not that 3 OR2700's are inefficient. I guess that with emerging technology, I like to try and upgrade to the best of my abilities. The skimmer itself is built like a tank. I added a riser to the skimmer as well as a bubble wand. Just did that 2 days ago and will determine if the skimmer is producing more skimmate. Pics to follow.

Found a few pics of this guys birth... They are here:

Spazz_44116full_pic_of_skimmer.jpg

Spazz_44116full_pic_of_skimmer3.jpg

Spazz_44116full_pic_of_skimmer4.jpg

Spazz_44116full_pic_of_skimmer6.jpg

Spazz_44116full_pic_of_skimmer7.jpg

That thing looks like a damn nuclear reactor! :lol: For gosh sakes, your sump is even bigger than your main tanks combined.

Back