thesea.org

B

b j perun

I have a moderate sized collection of corals I grow and propagate. I am interested in trading of selling. You can find the photos under the coral farm link on my main page. Once you are there go to propagated species, and you will see the list to the left.

blane perun

zooad.jpg

FARM UPDATE, getting back in gear

FARM UPDATE, getting back in gear

I wanted to post this update to my project since I have yet had a chance to produce a new web page explaining where I am in the process. Previously I had finished coating the room with Polyboard and installed a Natural Vented Gas heater for Climate control.
heatcon.jpg

heater.jpg

I have two thermostats, one running fans
therm2.jpg

and one running the heater.
therm1.jpg

The reason I used two is because in some cases the room is cool but requires circulation because of humidity. I will eventually drop the thermostat and have the fans controlled by humidity monitor, but I chose this route in the interim to cut cost.

After the room was complete I purchased the tanks, which from a previous post I described where the Rubbermaid stock tanks.
rub.jpg

I had taken those back in exchange for Tuff Stuff tanks which provided more growing area.
tanks.jpg

tanks2.jpg

I had originally planned to have a sump return for each system, I was going to buy the Tuff Stuff 40 gallon tank, elevate the grow tank and have the sump underneath at a 90 degree angle with half of the sump exposed. I wanted to have the option to run skimmers and DSBââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢s in the sumps if I so chose.
dsbtank.jpg

Because of space requirements and the lack of desire to build stands for each system I ditched the idea all together. I will be running 6 independent systems and one Display.

I have broken up the systems like this. Quarantine, SPS, Leather, Gorg & sponge, Disco, Palythoa and Zoanthus. I will be running DSBââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢s in two of the systems the Sponge, and Discoââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢s. In the remaining ones I will be running rock rubble as a biological filter. Most of the tanks will be low to moderate flow with exception of the SPS and Zoo tank, which will be moderate to high.

I am running a myriad of lighting, in fact anything I can find on the market. My objective is to have the option to watch study and photograph the animals under a variety. So far I have purchased a Quad Prism PC, A standard dual 40w fixture, A #4 110 VHO Ice Cap pendant. I will most likely *** three more fixtures each MH, two with supplemental PCââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢s.

The room provides natural lighting via three skylights, which during the summer months provided a great amount of illumination. I however am not one of the lucky ones with a E/W home, so during the winter I am finding I lack direct light. I have a lumens and Par meter and plan to begin a series of weekly measurements which I will post in quarterly intervals.

Blane Perun

ooooo thats nice.... ive been trying to start a farm for some time now, although quitting my job left me without a paycheck for a while, so it is kind of on hold. How much did those stock tanks cost ya? and what are you using for lighting? Im lookin for the cheapest possible thing here, as college is gonna cost a bundle next year

Back