Think my BT Anemone is done for...

jag911

Went to the LFS yesterday for some more Mysis and the guy who usually helps me pushed a garlic xtract additive to help the fish fight any parasites they might get from new stock. stupidly i listened, bought the additive and used it on the next feeding. As expected, the anemone got some of the garlic treated mysis too... magically this morning he's curled up into the corner, spit out a brown stringy substance, opening his mouth or inverting his body, and continues to shrink.

I guess I know better then to listen to them... (I even mentioned the anemone and asked if it was safe)... Now my thriving BTA is probably dead.

Am i thinking correctly and i should take it out, or should i leave it in and hope for the best?

he might have just thrown the food back up, my condi has done that before and he is fine after a few days of being all scrunched up, id leave him in there for a bit longer and see if hes ok!

not sure about what is happining with the anemone but garlic will not kill it. actually garlic is good to use in fish food it helps boast their immune system.

he's shrunk down even further then this pic. but you can see the brown stuff he's pucked up...

Yesterday:
IMG_3214.jpg

Today:
IMG_3348.jpg

looks like he is bleaching. what kind of lighting do you have? what are your water parameters? what are you feeding it and how much? and how long have you had it?

Had him a couple weeks now... Same color as when i bought it... "rose anemone" was the description. I ahve a 192watt dual actnic and 10k/6.5k bulbs that run around 12 hours on blue and about 10 hours on white. dual blue nite time led's. Feeding with cubed frozen mysis shrimp twice a week... he's been eating just fine... this is the first time he's acted like this. I've seen hime shrink at night... but not like this.

He continues to shrink further, move less, and open his mouth further... :'(

Last edited:
oh, and he's at the lowest point of the tank, farthest from the lighting source... near a power head and the return flow... always been happy with his spot... today he's slid off the side of the rock and into the argonite as part of this

First off I suggest silversides for anemone, not mysis, they are meat eaters.
I also do not beleive that garlic will hurt it but as someone said, it is bleaching out.
And it appears he is not fully attached, another sign of an unhappy anemone.
Get some silversides, feed it a smal piece of it and then again in two days.
Mysis is good for fish, shrooms etc but not enough for anemones.

Back