thoughts on substrate reactors?

archaeoreefer

Just wondering how many members with reef tanks are using reverse flow fluidized substrate reactors (dedicated or mixed media)? Be they converted Phosban reactors or other. I'm thinking of buying one to pack with carbon, Purigen, and/or a nitrate reducer and plumbing it inline from a tee off my overflow and then back into the return. Just interested in what anyone thought of them.

i just recently bought a phosban reactor that i had seahorse order in for me, it came to like $60 dollars or something. It is the Kent marine one, anyway i havent set it up yet, but will do so soon. I also have another phosban look alike the i made DIY that i will use to run carbon. I made it out of a nalgiene water bottle and some PVC fittings. If you want i can post a pic of it.

i plan on running them both with the same pump, like an MJ 400 or 600. the pump will go into a tee and then to each of the different devices. i will run up and take a pic now and post a picture for you.

Mike

alright here are the picture, if you need me to explain anything better just let me know...

10004626ds.jpg

10004586yo.jpg

10004616yz.jpg

forgot to say, the naligiene water botle one is a little bit different, in the phos reactor the media is supposed to sit open and in my DIY one i am going to use a micron bag with carbon in it, or two. also i do not have all the vinyl piping on the yet, but both of the outputs on each will run through a filter sock, just incase. also that is one of the holders that come with maxi-jets that i duct taped and ratchet tied to the water bottle. Im sure you could use some other type of bottle, but the nalgienes are the perfect size IMO.

I think I might convert a Coralife Ozone Reactor for this purpose. Perhaps even split the column to house carbon and nitrifying bio balls.

Back