Too Heavy?

Greg129

I have a 60 gallon s/w with 100 lbs of live rock and a 55 gallon f/w in my bedroom. The 55 gallon has been there for 3 years and the 60 gallon for 1 1/2 years. Any chance of these buckling the floor and falling through? I know this is late, but it's been on my mind.

If the tanks are placed over the floor joists properly you will be fine.
EX. If the tanks are placed vertically against a wall, and the floor joists run horizontally they will support the weight fine.
You could have a problem if the tanks are placed horizontally and the beams run vertical. The beams would not be supporting all the weight evenly.

Thanks for the reply. The 55 gallon is placed against the wall and the 60 gallon is placed in the diagonally facing the corner. I'll have to find out which way the beams run.

Unless your house is very poorly built I wouldn't worry about it. The tanks weigh less than 1000 pounds each, and are spread out over four feet. That is similar to three or four grow men standing around. :)

it of course varies from building to building,
but I think most people underestimate how strong there floors are. I have 2x10 joists in my house. I have had a 220 gallon setup sitting on a 2x6 footprint for 2 years, not causing any problems at all.

Back