Took the Vertex plunge....

So my question posed to Vertex Support a few days ago on the cerebra forum stated, "Will the Android OS ever be upgraded".

I received a reply in 2 minutes from Vertex Support stating, "No plans at this time as running a newer version of the OS would require massive recoding and wouldn't gain any advanced function that we don't already have for the functionality of Cerebra."

So they basically wrote there code to one specific version of tje OS. Not very smart IMO.

With android being open source security vulnerabilities will be exposed on there current OS thus making this device a portal to your network where they can get in and do bad things to you. If they keep in line with the latest release of the OS the vulnerabilities get patched and new features will be available to code against

So they basically wrote there code to one specific version of tje OS. Not very smart IMO.

With android being open source security vulnerabilities will be exposed on there current OS thus making this device a portal to your network where they can get in and do bad things to you. If they keep in line with the latest release of the OS the vulnerabilities get patched and new features will be available to code against

This doesn't seem to bother Apex owners connecting to fusion.

This doesn't seem to bother Apex owners connecting to fusion.

I work in the cybersecurity field, and as we all know nothing will ever be secure enough to be impenetrable to a cyberattack. I'm not down with Apex's SSL encryption as I'm sure the NSA has already cracked it, but it's successor TLS would have been a better choice. Nonetheless, there is end-to-end encryption.. Other then that there are some good security features being used with the Apex and Fusion.

I don't own an Apex, but I have ordered a Vertex Cerebra and hoping to take delivery soon by AquaCave! I have access to the Cerebra forum as a friend of mine has already took delivery, and I'll be installing it for him, so been trying to keep informed in what is going on in the community. I must say there number one focus is on its users and getting this controller right. The Vertex Cerebra cloud is going up tonight to all users in beta for the next few days. So needless to say there is a buzz in the atmosphere and going to be exciting for all Cerebra users this week. I'm interested to see what security features they have put in place not only with their cloud platform but how they plan on keeping the Cerebra Vertex secure. All OSs reach an EOL.

tigger2577 - my concerns are with yours.

This is sort of my point, the cloud hasn't even launched and that's where the open port will be, as long as vertex encrypts it, it should be good enough for an aquarium controller and if someone wants into your home network it your that paranoid you probably shouldn't be connecting to the Internet anyway.

This is sort of my point, the cloud hasn't even launched and that's where the open port will be, as long as vertex encrypts it, it should be good enough for an aquarium controller and if someone wants into your home network it your that paranoid you probably shouldn't be connecting to the Internet anyway.

haha, exactly! Believe me, Vertex Cerebra as well as Apex, is at the bottom of the list hackers and such are looking to get into.

^^^^^ That is what Tridium and other building control systems thought and we all know how that turned out. Think Target, Home Depot type stuff.
Chinese hackers don't care how they get in and attempt everything because you never know where it will lead. Hackers use scanners to scour the net for easy to get into devices. Since many business's with aquariums also take credit cards I would assume aquarium controllers would be far from the bottom of the list.

^^^^^ That is what Tridium and other building control systems thought and we all know how that turned out. Think Target, Home Depot type stuff.
Chinese hackers don't care how they get in and attempt everything because you never know where it will lead. Hackers use scanners to scour the net for easy to get into devices. Since many business's with aquariums also take credit cards I would assume aquarium controllers would be far from the bottom of the list.

Hopefully your PCI compliant and have the machines that take chip and pin.

I think a lot of people would mess their pants if they knew exactly how easy it is for someone who knows what they are doing to access their home network. No aquarium controller is going to protect you.

Why would the Blue Fish developers develop an app for the cerebra when they have their own controller/platform? The blue fish runs it's own hardware and the full blue fish has the potential to be a full controller in it's own right. I don't see the developers doing anything with the Cerebra when they have their own way of controlling their hardware.

And the idea of controlling a Reef Angel from a Cerebra doesn't sound too intuitive either. Sounds more like a limited niche request.

You're right about the niche request, but it was an example of being told Apps would be available, and I can't even download an open-sourced .apk because Cerebra is locked into Apps they want allowed. And that's the point about being locked into it.

And I agree about the Blue Fish,although you control blue Fish with your phone (User Interface) and the Cerebra becomes your phone (user interface) in this case, with the App.
BlueFish doesn't have it's own user interface that's not your phone. So they shouldn't have any problem with providing code for Cerebra to utilize.
Two different markets, completely.

The best security exploits are people. I'll refer to most issues as PEBKAC errors. Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair. :)

Back