TOTM- too many too fancy, not main stream

nematode

Dear Reef central.
The tanks you have as ToTM are all wonderful, fabulous creations,

but, they aren't realistic goals that many (most) RC members can strive for

240 gal tank, 6 6100 Tunze and a controller . ... ... ...

I urge reefkeeping magazine to keep in touch with the average reefer who doesn't have the means to create a perfect system : a well equipped 240. Hell, if you give me 25,000$ I can set up a very nice reef tank.

Perhaps you could incorporate a budget reeftank version of TOTM at least occasionally.
I think I would learn more from seeing how others have managed to create a nice set up on a modest budget than what people with a really large budget have managed to create. The latter is interesting , but I'd like to see more emphasis on practical reefing rather than millionaire reefing.

I agree. However it would be tricky to come up with a set of guidelines to qualify for the "Budget TOTM".

For example, not more than 180 gallons? Not more than a total of $6000 invested?

Let's discuss this. I do find myself a little frustrated at times with seeing tens of thousands of dollars invested, knowing that I will likely never be to that point. (Nor do I really want to at this time.)

Great suggestion, nematode!!

I do not think that seperate catagories should be created....it will only dilute the quality of each month's featured tank. However, I will say that over the years, TOTM tanks have, in general, become pigeon-holed into being a high end 200 -500 gal SPS tank......and as a result, those are the types of tanks that get nominated. You must all remember, the RC staff must choose a tank that comes to their attention.

In my opinion, a TOTM candidate must be unique and impressive in some way. That uniqueness could take many different forms. For example:

1) a very large tank
2) a very small tank
3) a particular biotope
4) a budget tank
5) a high tech tank
6) a fish only tank
7) an anemone only tank
8) a non photosynthetic tank
9) a seahorse tank
10) a softy tank
11) a surge tank
12) a touch pool tank
13) a lagoon tank
14) a zoa tank

The list could go on and on....however, the base criteria should always be the same....a WELL EXECUTED tank that offers some uniqueness and interest to the reefing world.

I believe that, over the years, the reefing community has come to think of a TOTM tank as having a particular look and quality...and as a result, those are the only tanks that get brought to the attention of the RC staff. It's up to the viewership to bring forth more diverse candidates that meet a base criteria.....of course, this could only happen if the RC staff promotes the need for more broad submissions through some sort of "submission requirement statement".

Re: TOTM- too many too fancy, not main stream

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12714790#post12714790 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nematode
Dear Reef central.
The tanks you have as ToTM are all wonderful, fabulous creations,

but, they aren't realistic goals that many (most) RC members can strive for

240 gal tank, 6 6100 Tunze and a controller . ... ... ...

I urge reefkeeping magazine to keep in touch with the average reefer who doesn't have the means to create a perfect system : a well equipped 240. Hell, if you give me 25,000$ I can set up a very nice reef tank.

I definately agree.....most people have tanks from 65-120 gallons, it would help those with smaller budgets and less space come up with ideas on creating the best ecosystem we can.

Back