Treating coral frags that have nuisance algae

whodeewuhdee

Is there a way to treat frags that have nuisance algae like GHA on them?

I see plenty of frags being sold but if you look carefully in the photos there is green hair either on frag surface and/or on the surrounding rock in the host tank. I just don't want to end up paying money for a nice coral but subsequently introducing this hell of a "virus" into my system as well.

I just want to take every single precaution in eliminating the introduction of nuisance algae from coral frags into my new system. I've been through lengthy GHA outbreaks a couple years ago in old tank and almost broke my tank down because of it.

Pretty simple, when you get a frag remove it from the plug. The algae is not likely on the live tissue. This is also a good way to avoid pests. I treat all frags coming in, then snap them off the plug, treat again, re-glue onto new plug and into the tank they go. This of course is not perfect, many month quarantine is the only true way to avoid unwanted additions. But you will find that most additions find there way into the tank via the plug or rock they are attached too.
My 2cents

@oblio. May I ask what are you dipping them into when you say treatment? And why do it twice? Isn't less stress for the coral if you snap the plug or rock, glue it into a new one and then treat them? I don't get why the first round of it?

pretty simple, when you get a frag remove it from the plug. The algae is not likely on the live tissue. This is also a good way to avoid pests. I treat all frags coming in, then snap them off the plug, treat again, re-glue onto new plug and into the tank they go. This of course is not perfect, many month quarantine is the only true way to avoid unwanted additions. But you will find that most additions find there way into the tank via the plug or rock they are attached too.
My 2cents

+1

Back