Treating flatworms (red planaria) in cycling tank

Grebex11

Hey guys,

A new tank I set up just finished cycling. I spotted two flatworms on the front glass today that I siphoned out but I am assuming I have many more that are hidden. It's only a 15g with about 10 pounds of live rock in it. So if there were a TON of them, I should be able to spot more.

I have nothing in the tank yet, other than a hermit crab hitch hiker. I've kept various saltwater aquariums for over decade but I've actually never had a single flatworm. I'm wondering if I should treat the tank with Flatwork Exist now before I add any inhabitants to the tank. I figure that couldn't hurt, right? Or maybe since I've only seen two so far, I just let it go for now and see if more start to pop up. Then I could just wait another week or so. They shouldn't have much of a food source.

What do you think?

As someone who has battled FWs in established tanks, I agree, treat now. Be prepared to possibly double the dosage.

Like George, I've been through it. @Habib worked with me on how to go through the treatments.

1. Spend a few days siphoning out what you can see. If you only see two, there's two hundred you can't see. It takes some time, but it helps. It's not the FWX that creates the problem when treating, but the toxins released when the flat worms die. Less worms, less toxins.
2. Prep for the treatment. Have carbon ready to run and have some water ready to do a water change.
3. I doubled the first treatment. I started running carbon the next day andI did a water change two days later.
4. Did another treatment one week later and did the same with it.
It went very well. No ill effects on the tank, and it was fully stocked at the time. Keep us posted n your progress.

Like George, I've been through it. @Habib worked with me on how to go through the treatments.

1. Spend a few days siphoning out what you can see. If you only see two, there's two hundred you can't see. It takes some time, but it helps. It's not the FWX that creates the problem when treating, but the toxins released when the flat worms die. Less worms, less toxins.
2. Prep for the treatment. Have carbon ready to run and have some water ready to do a water change.
3. I doubled the first treatment. I started running carbon the next day andI did a water change two days later.
4. Did another treatment one week later and did the same with it.
It went very well. No ill effects on the tank, and it was fully stocked at the time. Keep us posted n your progress.
Good info above...
OP's tank is empty..just LR. I say nuke it.....

Well I took everyone's advice and treated it. I then took a powerhead to flush any dead ones out of the rocks. I didn't spot a single one other than the two on the glass I mentioned. I did 1.5x the recommended dose and all seems to be good.

Little update though, I walked into my office and turned the light on. I've always tried to peak in my tanks as soon as I turn on a light to see what critters might scatter away and I found this guy! I think he's a red emerald? He was pretty deep in the rock and it was hard to get a good picture. Let me know if anyone thinks differently. First on the stocking list is a Yasha/Pistol shrimp pair which I think would be fine with him? I assume the pistol would just scare off the crab if he came near it's cave.

1700627437451.png

đź‘Ť on the flatworms.

Regarding the crab, it’s probably my old eyes and looking on the phone, but I can’t make an ID from the pic.

Body shape looks like an emerald. But the colored bands on the legs make me think it’s something else. At first I was thinking Sally Lightfoot but it doesn’t have the compressed body like those.

Back