Trouble with clams

APynckel

Almost any time i get a clam of Squamosa Species of higher (you guys know what i mean) they always seem to die for some strange reason. i've lost like 4 Crocea's and a Squamosa and one Derasa (the reason that one died is b/c my idiot brother shot microvert right into it's intake valve). The Crocea's will do fine for about a week and then suddenly die off. My Squamosa stayed alive for a good 3 months before biting the dust but it would never get it's color back from a dull brown no matter how high i put it in the tank. I was wondering what could kill clams like this. My pH is about 8.2-8.3, Specific gravity about 1.023, calcium levels at like 500 ppt., using a Red Sea Berlin protien skimmer, and have tons of coral that is thriving. Plz help b/c i'm afraid to waste my money on any more clams to have them die within a week

One last thing:
Are maximas more or less hardy than croceas?
i was thinking about getting a maxima but since all of my good expensive clams have died i've reconsidered it. Dimensions of my aquarium: 72" wide 24" tall 24" deep. My family just upgraded from a 90 gallon to this beautiful 180 gallon. Would it be smart to try to add a clam to see if it would live?

Your problem might be that your light is too far into the high end of the color spectrum. Clams tend to come from shallow water and tend to thrive better under lights of 5500-10000K color spectrum. At 14000K, your lights are too blue and simulate waters deeper than that from which most clams (available in the hobby) come. Knop recommends lights below 10000k.

The clams are receiving little light in a usable spectrum.

Try switching to 10000K or lower lights. I think that would work, IMO.

[Edited by herefishiefishie on 02-03-2001 at 08:28 PM]

Sometimes acclimation can be the problem. I believe that Knopp's book on Giant Clams discussed kidney damage that can occur when the clams are moved from different salinities too rapidly. The damage may not be apparent, but they die off in a few days to weeks. I had some troubles like that until I started acclimating the clams over 8 hours. I just poked tiny holes in the bags and let the water exchange very slowly.

Back