Trumpet Coral Care

Tennyson

I am planning on getting a Trumpet Coral and was wondering about their care needs. I heard that most LPS corals need calcium to grow, is this true for Trumpet, brain and frogspawn corals (which I plan to get too)?

If any of these do need calcium, how would I know when they need calcium, and can it be bought in stores? Would I measure how much there is in the water?

I have a 46 Gallon tank, with a Koralia Power 2 Power head, a filter and a protien skimmer that I plan to replace soon and T-5 lighting.

Thanks

All corals need calcium, some just use more or less than others......and there are a wide variety of ways to keep your calcium levels up: Kalkwasser, DIY Calcium and Alkalinity supplements and there are also a wide variety of name-brand producers of 2-part additives. But it sounds like you need a little reading as far as calcium goes......here! HTH! : )

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-06/rhf/index.php

OK, thanks for the link. So I know that my corals need Calcium and Alkalinity supplements now. And there must be test kits out there to buy for those two things. But, if I have low Alkalinity levels, what can I do/add to the tank to get it to the right levels. Does Kent have anything for that?

Also, personally, I love the API test kits because they are fairly cheap, accurate and (If you are color blind like me) the test is really easy to do. : )

Back