TTM Question

emcmilla

Hi Everyone,

So, I am in my first transfer of TTM to ensure my new coral beaut angel and royal gramma are ich free. So my question is this: If you keep the lights off in the tank, couldn't you do the transfer at any point. In other words, since the cysts fall off at night, if the tank lights are off, wouldn't the cysts believe it's night and fall off?

Thanks

No. The parasite's life cycle is independent of light/dark cycles. The key is to ensure that no more than 72 hours pass between transfers.

ok. i see. I thought there was a correlation between the parasite falling off when it'sdark (ie. when the fish beds down). I see though. Thanks.

There is a correlation, but darkness is not required for the trophont to drop off the fish.

^this

all parasites will have jumped off within 7-8 days regardless of what time of day they decide to jump off. most may jump off in the wee-hours of morning, but plenty will jump off whenever they wish.

^this

all parasites will have jumped off within 7-8 days regardless of what time of day they decide to jump off. most may jump off in the wee-hours of morning, but plenty will jump off whenever they wish.

What he said so eloquently. :beer:

Gotcha. Thanks everyone! Have a great day!!!! So far the tank transfer is going well....Now I just have to get the fish to eat :(

Gotcha. Thanks everyone! Have a great day!!!! So far the tank transfer is going well....Now I just have to get the fish to eat :(

not uncommon at all. i have had several fish take well over a week to finally eat. they will make it. just keep them in QT until they are actively eating and getting fat. this will make their transition easy.

i have a male lyretail anthias right now that rarely eats and I have had him for 4 weeks now. i assume he eats some leftovers on the ground, but can't confirm. again, not uncommon.

Back