Tunze vs. Vortech ... In an all out... umm.. water shoot o-thon!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14416603#post14416603 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jiriki
It's been a year, how do you like your Vortechs now?

Well, I sold the 610x's when I decommissioned the 180. By the end of the week, I should have four Vortech's in my 200 (4'x3'x27"). Two are on the right pane at 3/4 throttle creating a 3/4-1" wave. One is on the back left wall on reefcrest at about 3/4 throttle. I'll be placing another on the right back wall at 3/4 throttle on reefcrest as soon as it arrives.

I'm also running a MP20 in my 58.

I'm still not over the noise, but there isn't anything I can really do about that. The MP20 is pretty much silent, but obviously the motor rotation and flow is significantly less.

I still run the Tunze's as utility powerheads in the sump, in the frag tank, etc. I'm going to guess if I have success in my 200 and things grow out like crazy... at some point I'll add a couple large Tunze's to that for very specific directional flow since that's obviously impossible with the Vortech.

My turn to bring it back up. Hey Eric I currently use an tunze 6060 which is 1600 gph and I feel its to much in conjunction with my dart in a 110 tank. I was looking at the mp20 as a replacement. Since it's highest setting is 1500 it should work for what I need, would you agree with this? My tank is a 48" tank and I would put it on one end to pulse/reef crest across the front or rear of my tank.

What's the point of the MP20 in the 110, just random flow or do you want to get a wave? I would imagine a wave with the MP20 would be difficult in that size of tank. Reefcrest might work out pretty well however if the dart is supplying the primary flow. I have a MP20 in my 58 and I really could use about another 10% power.

If in doubt and you have the spare cash, jump up to the MP40. It's very easy to adjust the amount of flow.

Yeah your right if I get one it should be the mp40, I am only after random flow but if the flow pattern is wide enough I could crank it up higher if I wanted for any future needs.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14783906#post14783906 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RokleM
I have a MP20 in my 58 and I really could use about another 10% power.

I know nobody has an MP10 yet but was hoping it would be able to create a small wave in my 58, I have plenty of random flow with 2x6025, 1xK1, 1xKnano and 220gph return flow any thoughts the MP10 will be affordable to us as there are other toys we need to purchase also

Yeah, honestly hard to tell until someone gets their hands on the unit. I would imagine you could achieve a similar flow. I don't have as much of a "wave" in the 58 with the MP20 (maybe 1/4" at best), but there is a clear pulse/flow back and forth as all the corals sway together.

Back