Turbelle Attachment options

anthem

Premium Member
Roger, I guess the suction cup holders aren't in stock as I've got a few on order and it appears you guys don't have them.

Anyhow, I have four turbelles. I'd like to attach two on each end facing each other (tank is 4 ft tall, so one on each end is not enough). Anyhow, the lip of the brace on the top of the tank is 5", so I have the bracket extension cut to size to recess it back to the glass wall. Anyhow, I currently have one about 8" below water line with the extension tubes all the way down to the sand bed. I'd like to connect two on each side, one on top of the other. Couple of questions:

-Can a bracket with an extension hold two turbelles ? Don't forget that it's also got an extension to recess it under the lip of the tank.

-Is the suction holder an adapter to additionally secure the bracket to the tank, rather than to attach to the turbelle clip itself ? That would work better than just attaching to the clip (in case the clip/suction fails and 1000gph starts blowing in the sand bed). Really prefer not to put silicone into a tank with water.

-Anyway to secure the top bracket a bit better. It's kind of hanging by a 1/2" clamp connection. I think I'll try using an cut extension piece but my top brace is 3/4" glass and the additional extension to extend the clamp might make it too thick...

Ideally, I'd like both turbelles to draw water from the bottom of the tank, but not sure how I'd build the tubing to T-out to the side and go to the bottom. Even that was done, can the tube handle the waterflow for both pumps ? Probably not as the additional draw pressure will work against each other.

Thanks Roger,
Ed

Hi Ed,

I do have suction holders, you ordered rails though by the part number, the suction holder is part 3060.41, I have 24 in stock. I sent you the spare rails as you ordered part 3000.22 mounting bar. It was very confusing as the PO said scution cup holder and indeed with the right parts the rail can hold suction cups but the part number indicated a rail. Perhaps you are looking for part 3060.4201- suction cup and part 0110.0100 Nipple for attachment to mounting bar, these are also available. The 3060.41 is the old triangle with three suction cups, it tends to fail over time unless siliconed in place to very clean glass. The silicon is absolutely harmless to the aquarium inhabitants in the small amounts used, it actually works reasonably well when cured under water. The water provides a pressure against the cup to ensure a tight bond. You can use the extension connectors in a similar manner but they usually require the tank be dry and best adhesion is obtained by scuffing the bracket and the glass with very fine grit sand paper.

I have never placed both pumps on one rail, the rails are quite strong as the contain glass fibre, it should be possible. I would not join the intakes, it sounds overly complicated. Use the lowest pump to skim the bottom with the T and two intake strainer, The top pump I would leave as delivered. The only other option would be a seperate rail setup, I honestly cannot think of a neat reliable installation for joining the intake. If you really are insistent on this option I have metric PVC plumbing kits, they contain elbows and the correct PVC diameter in grey to plumb returns and intakes on the pumps, they do not however contain any T's. I can ask if they can send me some T pieces. It is kit 1073 and it contains 4m of 25mm PVC with afew couplers and 6 elbows. For installation we recommend cleaning with denatured alcohol and using Tangit PVC adhesive. Like I said this kit is really designed for using Tunze pumps as sump returns and not for connecting pumps.

By the way we have long screws for thick glass, it is part 3000.244, they are made of blackened steel. It is known as the US install kit, 3000.244 contains the screws, one nipple and one suction cup to perfectly place the rail on heavy Oceanic trim. I should say thank you to Oceanic for sending a piece of trim to the engineers in Germany, you may recall that euro tanks are trimless and even those with trim are removable, excepting Jewel. This is why the holders seem so complicated our tanks are in the minority but it is a problem we are continually working to resolve. If you will email me off line at Tunze@sbcglobal.net I can send you a PDF of the 3000.244 and the installation possibilities, the product is new and this was a proof of the instructions, I do however have it in stock.

Ed,

A couple of other suggestions, if possible mount all four pumps along the back wall, I would use sequential mode on the multicontroller, we have a video Flow Conditions in Aquaria which would show all the options for using the Turbelle pumps. It is very inexpensive. If you need me to fabricate some holders for your installation just let me know, I have tons of small parts and can usually craft a holder for just about any intallation if you are having trouble. The pumps along the back wall are less obtrusive and the intakes carried to the bottom will help sweep the detritus from the rock. If you could send me a photo of your tank or fax me a drawing perhaps I could be of more assistance.

Back