Two leather questions

77railer

Thanks in advance for all the help...My wife and I just purchased a 75 Gallon reef which contains several varieties of corals. Two of which are leathers. One of the leathers was kept by the individual we purchased from. It was ripped from its base leaving behind a disc shape attached to the rock. We are wondering what its chances of growing back are and what signs/symptoms we should be looking for to distinguish survival or death.

The second coral in question is still in the tank but stays slumped over and closed...its blue/purple in color. We are wondering if we should let it alone and see what happens or sever it (providing that it has a better chance of survival) and allow it to grow back. Will post pictures in a sec to help with advice....

Once again thanks in advance ......

Lee & Linda

Here is the severed leather....
75GSalwater014.jpg
[/IMG]

The one that was ripped off has a good chance of starting to grow back. This happens to me when I rip out green branching sinularia. That stuff grows like a weed. The second picture does not look to good. I would try and clean it with a light brush to get the algae off.

We are going to clean him off and move him into a little more light...hopefully he will pull thru....thanks for the recommendation.

Lee and Linda

I feel like I'm starting to sound like a broken record on this forum, but give the drooping leather more water flow. It will help it shed the mucus coat and all the foreign gunk that looks to be developing on it, which may be the cause of the sliming.

Inadequate flow can be a big cause of leather drooping or sagging.

Back