type of clam for me

SurferDude771

i would really like to get a clam for my 25g reef with 96w pc lighting. Is there anything besides a deresa, and if not, how fast would it outgrow my tank.

IMO

That wouldnt be enough light even for a Derasa.

Squamosa's are lower light clams as well, but even they would need more lighting than what you have to thrive.

Clams like metal halides. Throw a 250w metal halide on there and keep any clam you want (as long as you have the right parameters).

Ahem,

I'd say you'd be fine with a squamosa at the very top of the tank. I had one under my 29 with 110 for many months and it was fine... I agree, metal halide would be the best...Until I got it, the clam didn't grow at all.

lebowski said:
Ahem,

I'd say you'd be fine with a squamosa at the very top of the tank. I had one under my 29 with 110 for many months and it was fine... I agree, metal halide would be the best...Until I got it, the clam didn't grow at all.

Thriving and "fine" are a far cry from each other.

Im sure it could be done( with supplimental feedings ), but is it in the best interest of the clam? IMHO it would not be.

I-just-bought-a-nano-from-Twins-Guy(I-don't-know-what-his-name-is-here-but-at-Nano-reefs.com-he's-twins-guy).--He/I-have-a-squamy-under-27w-of-pc.-He-is-fine.-Fine-is-good-enough-for-me.-I-don't-want-it-thriving-and-out-growing-the-tank.-Obviously-fine-is-good-or-else-it-would-be-dead.

Basiclly-all-you'll-get-here-are-opinions-and-everyone-has-a-different-one.-Everyone-does-their-tank-different.-I-say-you'll-be-fine-for-a-squamy.

JMO

He/I-have-a-squamy-under-27w-of-pc.-He-is-fine.-Fine-is-good-enough-for-me.-I-don't-want-it-thriving-and-out-growing-the-tank.-Obviously-fine-is-good-or-else-it-would-be-dead.

Weither you think it is an opinion or not, I do not think there will be many reefkeepers on RC that will agree with this statement. Nor do I think that they would agree that 27watts of pc is adequate lighting for any type of clam.

Chris

Leviathan said:
Weither you think it is an opinion or not, I do not think there will be many reefkeepers on RC that will agree with this statement. Nor do I think that they would agree that 27watts of pc is adequate lighting for any type of clam.

Chris

Very-true,not-all-would-recomend-it.-Just-like-those-same-people-will-say-you-cannot-keep-sps-under-PC's,-while-obviously-you-can.-I-may-not-have-bought-one-personaly-for-the-tank,-it-came-with-the-tank-I-bought.-But-it-has-been-doing-good-for-some-time-now.

Obviously,-if-27w-of-pc-wasn't-enough-it-would-have-died-by-now.-The-person-I-bought-it-from-also-has-a-10g-with-a-175w-MH-bulb-over-it-but-chose-to-keep-it-in-this-tank,-with-this-light-for-reasons-I-do-not-know,-and-it-has-done-well.

I-guess-maybe-some-clams-tell-you-how-much-light-they-want,-or-some-reefers-can-read-there-minds.-But-if-that-was-the-case-they'd-tell-you-all-to-put-them-back-in-the-ocean-for-the-best-light-ever-known-to-man.-But-this-is-obviously-not-the-case.-I-do-believe-clams-need-more-than-just-light-to-survive.

But-if-the-clam-wasn't-living-I-wouldn't-recommend-it.-But-since-it-is...

I-guess-I-just-should-have-stated-it-works-for-this-clam-and-may-not-work-for-you-and-another-clam.

Last edited:
I-know,-I-know.-I-suppose-pretty-soon-I-should-get-of-my-but-and-do-something-about-it.-I've-actually-become-acustumed(sp?)-to-using-the-dash-to-type,-I-type-just-as-fast-as-I-was-with-the-the-space-bar!

Soon-my-man,-soon.

Back