Type of flooring for big tanks.

sfsuphysics

So I'm going to install a tank. A large tank. And I need to redo the floor and was hoping to get some ideas for the type of floor. I'm looking towards inexpensive materials, i.e. no really nice stone or tiles.

Background:
Existing floor is a floating a good foot above a concrete slab. House built in the 50s, used to be an in-law place on the first floor connected to the garage. If I had to make a guess this was an addition after the house was made as it has that feel of "hey I have wood I can build off the concrete slab and make a room. There's considerable bounce in the floor, even within a few feet of the wall which makes me thinks the beams span much too long of an area and need beefing up under them, the subfloor is your typical 1" T&G pine boards that they used to use back in the day before plywood became widely used. There's a vent under the floor where the door to the outside which I'm guessing is to keep air between the floors so that things don't get funky there, just a guess on that part.

Plan:
Rip old stuff out, block up existing beams to blocks on concrete pad with pressure treated stock, rip up old subfloor (yeah I'm worried about the asbestos factor of the vinyl floor that's there), replace with 3/4" (or 23/32") T&G. Then whatever additional steps for other flooring. Also I'm going to pull a new box for a couple dedicated circuits just for the tank, insulation/vapor between the beams so that the humidity due to tank doesn't cause condensation on the flooring (or worse under the flooring) due to a cold floor, I'd like to run drain, but I'm not sure I can get the slope I want to tie into existing sewage lines. (also obviously not in this order :D)

Idea #1 - Tile
Inexpensive ceramic tile can be gotten for $.60 sq.ft although the cost doesn't include building up a proper floor with hardiebacker (no Ditra or Kerdi in this part of the country), along with thinset, grout, etc... I've done tile before for a bathroom but I remember the hours spent on my knees, measuring, cutting, fitting, wiggling, waiting, etc. I am a tad worried about the weight of the tank+system (probably looking somewhere in the 500g range for everything) cracking the tile. Also a bit worried if there's a water spill it'll hit the grout lines, hit the backer board and hit the subfloor and stick there since the backer board isn't a waterproof product (these are times I wish we had Ditra or Kerdi products out here).

Idea #2 - Vinyl floor.
Much easier to install, a bit more expensive on the surface than inexpensive tiles but probably less overall cost of additional installation. Also double nice that a large size of continuous piece essentially will prevent water from reaching the subfloor in the case of spills/accidents since I think it comes in 12' wide pieces. Concerns however are durability, the weight the stand might compress the hell out of it, possibly ripping through the stuff compromising the whole water resistance aspect. My wife seems to think that I'll tear the hell out of it too by moving stuff around.

Idea #3 - Straight to the concrete.
Building the stand straight to the concrete after I rip the floor up. Then floor around it. Upside is I won't have to worry about the weight of the tank and everything. Downside I still need floor around it which could make it a bit difficult to cut around the stand's legs. Plus I still need to insulate around the tank as part of this project is to complete enclose the tank area for heat retaining aspects (less electricity needed to heat it), foam board for stand walls, etc. And since it goes directly to the concrete water issues still have to be taken into account.

So any other ideas? I know a lot (most?) people put their tank on existing floor. So I'm basically asking what you would do different if you were starting from the ground up. The room will have a couch and be a relaxation room so does need to remain comfortable. I thought about a bamboo floor, but quickly dismissed it due to water/moisture concerns.

First off, get the substructure right. How far above the slab is the floor? Can you see under the floor to the slab? If the joists are touching the slab, they might need to be replaced.

As to finished flooring...
There are places that sell floor membranes like Ditra in the bay area. Look for professional tile stores not HD or Lowe's.

A properly set tile floor would not crack as long as the substructure is strong enough to not flex. Also this would be completely waterproof. Think tiled shower stall here!! You could even put in a floor drain. :)

If you wanted to do hardwood flooring, just the tank area could be tile. I have all my tanks on hardwood floors. Just don't let a flood happen!!

Vinyl will dent. This is only an issue if you decide to move or remove the tank. It's not much different than carpet in this respect. A well made stand should not puncture it.

#3. That seems a bit funky but might work. It's somewhat like a fireplace and chimney. They are heavy and go all the way to foundation/ground. The floor/house is built around them. If you didn't want the stand to go all the way to the ground, build a base up with concrete block or brick mortared in correctly. Make sure the foundation is sturdy. Garage floors are usually not thick enough to support that much weight in such a small space.

I may not be the best person...but how big is the tank..how many gallons..? I put a 120g tank in my house that was built in the 80s. It is about 1500 lbs...i called parr lumber and they told me how much deflection and weight the floor can hold. They can give u a good idea...i think the big question is how much weight is it going to be

First off, get the substructure right. How far above the slab is the floor? Can you see under the floor to the slab? If the joists are touching the slab, they might need to be replaced.
The joists are not touching the slab as far as I know. The room is approximately 15' x 25' which is why I suspect there's rather long stretches without support. I know one of my cats used to love to crawl under there, and not just between joists so I'm assuming the joists are at least cat height :D

As to finished flooring...
There are places that sell floor membranes like Ditra in the bay area. Look for professional tile stores not HD or Lowe's.
Yeah there are a few tile places near me, and some down near the airport. I went in when I redid my bathroom, but only noticed tiles didn't notice any other types of building products. I'll double check though if I go the tile route.

A properly set tile floor would not crack as long as the substructure is strong enough to not flex. Also this would be completely waterproof. Think tiled shower stall here!! You could even put in a floor drain. :)
There are long spans, which is why I need to remove the flex first. But a shower stall is not necessarily perfectly water proof I thought. Grout can be penetrated by water, maybe not instantly, but maybe that just means messes need to be cleaned up quick :D

If you wanted to do hardwood flooring, just the tank area could be tile. I have all my tanks on hardwood floors. Just don't let a flood happen!!
Yeah I thought about that, however my issue is more with water that might drip out over the edge if I'm working from the sides/front.

Vinyl will dent. This is only an issue if you decide to move or remove the tank. It's not much different than carpet in this respect. A well made stand should not puncture it.
Good to know... now just need to convince the wife that "MY" mancave can be vinyl.

#3. That seems a bit funky but might work.
Yeah, it was just a out in right field thought. I guess I could accomplish the same thing by having the blocking for the joists directly under the tank.

I may not be the best person...but how big is the tank..how many gallons..? I put a 120g tank in my house that was built in the 80s. It is about 1500 lbs...i called parr lumber and they told me how much deflection and weight the floor can hold. They can give u a good idea...i think the big question is how much weight is it going to be
Well the tank and sump volume I'm guessing is going to be in the 500 gallon range. I'm not quite figured out what I'm going to do with a sump. The footprint is rather large though 5' x 6'. I'm not concerned a lot with deflection, I do have a 180g tank down there now. But there is a bit of a bounce to certain parts of the floor, and I've been meaning to replace that entire floor since the original vinyl was attached directly to the subfloor, and the only way I've managed to pull it up is to soak the living crap out of it with a lot of standing water.

This is going to be a rather long and drawn out process. Mostly because I don't know if my school is going to close in a year and I might be out of a job... if it wasn't for a few large fish in the 180g tank I'd shut that tank down now.

Back