New tank setup… slate for canopy? Too heavy?

JustSalty

Looking for some kind and respectful input...

I have a tank that I’m currently setting up (getting back into the hobby)… I am wanting to go for that “natural look” and live plants etc. when all is said and done.

The tank measures 36L” x 18D”x 25H” I’m thinking it is a 65-70 gallon. 🤔 I’m not 100% sure on what the size is… It seems well built… An online calculator said it was around 70 gallons based on the dimensions… but I have no clue. 🤔

The “stand” I’m using is a very old solid wood cabinet on concrete/tile floors. We used to have a smaller tank on this cabinet once before without any issues… Anyway this tank just fits on it width wise… may be a little of the plastic bottom trim is over the edge a cm but the glass itself isn’t (all the weight is on the cabinet) it’s just makes it! I thought about putting plywood down and sit the tank on that but I was out numbered…. Hopefully, everything will hold… I’ve never had a tank this wide before so it makes me a bit nervous. I added about 100lbs of sand which is about 2-3” in some areas of the tank and then added some slabs of slate, faux wood water and two pumps so far.

I wanted to continue the slate look on top of the tank and use it as a “canopy” as pictured but I am getting a little worried about overall weight it is as well as how much weight can actually sit on top of a tank. I know some of those wood canopies are heavy. But last thing I want is a flood on my floor!

I’m open to some respectful input, tips and ideas. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_1504.jpeg
    IMG_1504.jpeg
    436.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1508.jpeg
    IMG_1508.jpeg
    274.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1513.jpeg
    IMG_1513.jpeg
    361.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1505.jpeg
    IMG_1505.jpeg
    457.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1284.jpeg
    IMG_1284.jpeg
    106.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1297.jpeg
    IMG_1297.jpeg
    102.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2536.jpeg
    IMG_2536.jpeg
    104.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2533.jpeg
    IMG_2533.jpeg
    110.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2534.jpeg
    IMG_2534.jpeg
    67.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2535.jpeg
    IMG_2535.jpeg
    112.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Welcome to RC!

If not a piece of plywood, if there’s any emotional attachment to the dresser, I’d at least consider putting a towel under the tank for any dripping or spillages from hands being in the tank for cleanings and whatnot. (It looks like you have it already filled but just an opinion).

With those dimensions, I’m coming in at roughly 70 gallons. I’m no expert on the overhang but I’ve done that with smaller tanks without issue. @BeanAnimal any thoughts?

As for the overall weight and support, it’s going to depend how the dresser is supported. If there’s no middle support I’d be more concerned however it appears there should be essentially two middle supports where the doors connect to the hinges, so you’re likely good. I’d just watch for any possible bowing over time.

As far as canopy weight goes, I honestly have no idea what the weight to glass ratio may be on that.

Thank you for your input. I’m not too attached over the dresser. Think I picked it up for $30 at a thrift store. Haha and yes there are two thick center braces in the center part of the dresser itself.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 14
Update: Back to ground zero on my fish tank setup & credenza…. Drained and unloaded all of the tank contents… weighed all the items that I wanted to add back into the tank and calculated water as well… based on the total weight, I added more support to the credenza itself. In all fairness it probably would have been fine as is… as it is as solid of wood furniture as you can get! But, by adding adjustable center leg supports and under tank support I’m now feeling a little better. 😅 thank again for everyone’s input.

Attachments

• IMG_7426.jpeg
    IMG_7426.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1544.jpeg
    IMG_1544.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 16
you'll be fine with that dresser/stand....looks better built than most new stands including any Red Sea ones...LOL.
Make sure that the slate leans in towards the tank, otherwise, you will get condensation/evap drips out and on the stand....gravity.

you'll be fine with that dresser/stand....looks better built than most new stands including any Red Sea ones...LOL.
Make sure that the slate leans in towards the tank, otherwise, you will get condensation/evap drips out and on the stand....gravity.
Thanks for that input!

Update: Back to ground zero on my fish tank setup & credenza…. Drained and unloaded all of the tank contents… weighed all the items that I wanted to add back into the tank and calculated water as well… based on the total weight, I added more support to the credenza itself. In all fairness it probably would have been fine as is… as it is as solid of wood furniture as you can get! But, by adding adjustable center leg supports and under tank support I’m now feeling a little better. 😅 thank again for everyone’s input.
Well, personally, the key is getting solid support from top to floor.

And yes if the center panels are like 3/4" plywood they "should" be fine.
Soo "IF" I saw that right you actually need some more support from the plywood to the floor directly. Not across a 1x3 of such.
Maybe the feet are there though.
Not soo worried about a collapse over a bow somewhere.
Oh and some old plywood was made with glue that isn't waterproof.. so de-lamination is pretty easy if gotten wet.
Or some of the glue in the frame for that matter.
justsalty.JPG

Well, personally, the key is getting solid support from top to floor.

And yes if the center panels are like 3/4" plywood they "should" be fine.
Soo "IF" I saw that right you actually need some more support from the plywood to the floor directly. Not across a 1x3 of such.
Maybe the feet are there though.
Not soo worried about a collapse over a bow somewhere.
Oh and some old plywood was made with glue that isn't waterproof.. so de-lamination is pretty easy if gotten wet.
Or some of the glue in the frame for that matter.
View attachment 32396705
Thank you for your input, very true. The gaps seen in the pictures actually are tracks for pull out drawers. But the center does go down from top to bottom of the dresser, and now since we added support legs to the center panels, it’s now making complete contact to the floor. 👍

Back