UF aquaculture lab

RiddleEagle18

Did everyone see the article in coral magazine?(free magazine on your ipad by the way)

Pretty cool stuff going on in our backyard.

Not sure if they allow individuals in there but I would definitely call and check into it. Our company plays a big role in the "Rising Tide" program over there.

Well for everyone else if you haven't read the article these guys are trying to breed and raise tangs and are getting pretty good at keeping them alive through 30+ days. If they can accomplish it, it would be a major break through for the hobby. The more aqua cultured stuff we can get the more chances we have at preventing the hobby from being shutdown by the endangered species act.

How was it?

It was pretty cool. Most impressive was the dedication each person there has toward the science of fish maturation.

We saw a 39 day old Bartlett's Anthias that was about 12mm long. They also had some Pacific Blue Tangs that I believe were around 3-4 days old.

Not as much brood stock there as I was expecting but they're really focused on developing successful maturation of yellow tangs and Pacific Blue Tangs, also had some Heniochus species, a few large angels (Emperors, Korans) and Anthias.

In the freshwater greenhouse they have TONS of African Cichlids.... just wall to wall, ceiling to floor of Cichlids.

Good stuff!

It was pretty cool. Most impressive was the dedication each person there has toward the science of fish maturation.

We saw a 39 day old Bartlett's Anthias that was about 12mm long. They also had some Pacific Blue Tangs that I believe were around 3-4 days old.

Not as much brood stock there as I was expecting but they're really focused on developing successful maturation of yellow tangs and Pacific Blue Tangs, also had some Heniochus species, a few large angels (Emperors, Korans) and Anthias.

In the freshwater greenhouse they have TONS of African Cichlids.... just wall to wall, ceiling to floor of Cichlids.

Good stuff!

Awesome. We can all only hope they are successful. What an impact that would have on the saltwater industry if they could get those 2 species to reproduce.

The reproduction is the easier part.... they know the females of both species throw out eggs the heaviest around full moon and are successful at collecting and hatching.... it's learning all the unknown intricacies after that... food sources (they're culturing many different pods and other micro-organisms), current, light source (as they told us, a difference in light spectrum was the only thing stopping the yellow tang larvae from eating... they switched lighting from common shop fluorescents to a 12Kish LED and the larvae started chowing)

Back