Undissolved salt

lv_reefer

My salt mix, Instant Ocean leaves white deposit that does not dissolve. Is it good stuff or shall I siphon it away? I don't want white powder on bare bottom.
Thank you

LV_Reefer

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-08 at 9.08.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-08 at 9.08.23 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
If it doesn't dissolve even with agitation then it is likely precipitate (calcium carbonate) and will never dissolve. If you dump salt mix in too fast, localized PH goes extremely high causing that to happen. Your water chemistry may be off now and will require adjusting (not the end of the world).

ESV Salt is a four part salt mix. A very clean salt.
I never got intp all of that fancy salt stuff. I just pour in Instant Ocean... or whatever is available.

A lot of of the "it has this and that level of this and that" never made sense to me in context to ca/alk, kalk, reactor, etc dosing, and esp if doing any trace element dosing. No dosing and relying on water changes for trace, and levels. Sure.

Well, for IO, etc., it isn't just open and pour as you should be aware of the way the salt settles during transport. Meaning that the salt mix isn't the same throughout the bag or box and should be mixed or stirred prior to adding to water. This isn't so important for FOWLR tanks, but I have all Acropora and like to keep conditions as ideal and stable as possible. YMMV I also do not change salts and try to use the same each time as Alk, Ca and Mg can vary widely between brands.

Back