Unidentified Fish Disease

snake42490

Hey guys, it's been a while since I have been active on here! Things were going well for so long I guess.. ha

Background--- Sold my whole tank setup due to moving. Was planning on starting back up fresh and I got a call roughly month and a half after the sale that all my fish are starting to die. I have had most of these fish for 3 and a half years with no issues. Well long story short the guy started buying fish and just throwing them into the tank and these new fish started dying.

Bad situation, but how about I have some people chime in and help me out :)

Upon getting the fish--

Blue Hippo Tang-- On side labored breathing, ghost pale white coloration. No life to the fish.

Sailfin-- Very rapid breathing-- roughly 35 gill movements per 10 seconds.

2 Black Ocellaris Clowns
1 Ocellaris Clown
1 Blue Damsel-- First marine fish I have ever had... He's a good one!

Treatment so far:
I was torn on what to do and what meds to start with. I have a lot on hand and have used my methods in the past with great success. I was between splitting the fish up and trying a couple different options on meds in a hopes to figure it out. As I was sitting there deciding the Blue Hippo was on its last leg. I quick set up a Hypo tank and dropped it to 1.008. 1 at a time I started placing the fish in the new container with hypo. I wanted to watch and be able to react. I started with the Blue Hippo due to how it was acting.

Hypo Response of fish:
Blue Hippo- Lifeless on bottom of tank, kept watching her and after about 5 minutes of being in hypo she had blood coming off of her gills in small amounts but definitely visible. Color started coming back and she came upright and started holding herself up on her own.

Sailfin- During hypo started having these surface black spots appear all over the body. 100's of these black spots

Clownfish--- Nothing crazy with black clowns, the other clown started spazzing out in hypo and had these black spots start pushing up on its skin. It was freaking out for about 10 minutes and then calmed down.

Since then I have kept the fish in hypo tank 1 for 3 days along with prazipro in there. Fish have had no appetite or interest in food. I have been dosing with prime and am keeping a very close eye on ammonia.

Day 3 did TTM to a new tank--
All fish are alive and color is much better, still in hypo at 1.007. Clowns are eating lightly, blue hippo is eating 1 or 2 pellets. Damsel and Sailfin are not eating at all. I decided to start tank with metronidazole and prazipro.
Day 4- Sailfin is flashing constantly on bottom of tank, very rapid gill movement.
Day 5- I dropped tank temp a bit and added an additional powerhead in tank in hopes of adding more oxygen.

Today is day 6---

Today should be my next dose of metronidazole and prazi after the tank transfer.

The rapid gill movement has me very concerned. I know the fish are not happy being in a 40 gallon tank right now, but these tangs had very slow gill movement in the past that was relaxed and not labored.

I'm torn and would like some ideas. I was thinking to start bumping the salinity up over the next few days so that I could do a formalin dip and go that route... I am also thinking about finishing out my metronidazole and prazi combination. I also thought about adding chloroquine phosphate into the mix.

I can tell you what I am dealing with is not ich-- If the fish were that heavily infested with ich they would most likely have body site reactions of some kind... spots etc.

I thought flukes so I ran the prazi.

What should my next step be.

Meds on hand:

Chloroquine Phosphate
Chloroquine Diphosphate
Metronidazole
Praziquinatel
Formalin
Copper
Cupramine
Quinine Sulfate

Various Bacterial Meds mostly Gram Negative stuff

Doxycycline
Amoxacilin
Tetracycline
Furan 2
Erythromycian
Kanamycin Sulfate

I hope someone might have some ideas with what I am dealing with- I am going to start getting the new tank prepped and will hopefully hear back from you guys.

The bleeding gills sounds like gill flukes releasing. Man. Scary stuff. How's prazi working?

I'm slowly bumping up the salinity. The prazi and hypo isn't changing anything anymore. I did the TTM and I'm going to try Formalin once the salinity is 1.020

No changes, fish look terrible, but are alive.

Okay guys so this morning I went in and looked at the fish. I decided to stop all meds after the tank transfer. I'm going to get the salinity up and then try Chloroquine Phosphate or formalin.

Fish still have very rapid gill movement
Water parameters are in check and salinity is currently at 1.010. I'm going to adjust that up 1 point tonight.

Sailfin Tang--- Body and fins have red all over them.

Checked water parameters and ammonia was showing up at 0. Secondary bacterial infection? Any thoughts or ideas.

I added some stress coat to the tank in hopes of adding some protection on the slime coat . I hate watching and waiting, I feel like something needs to be done before it's too late.

1-- Any ideas what this could be besides flukes?
2-- Any other ideas for treatment?

What is the lowest specific gravity you guys would go and feel comfortable doing a formalin bath and chloroquine?

I have used formalin and chloroquine in the past without any issues at 1.020. I know formalin can cause some water instability and wanted to know what would be a safe specific gravity that you think I could get by? I'm not sure they are going to make it another 2 days at this rate.

Could you take pics in hopes that anyone else with a problem similar like this can identify with your problem? It'll help out future issues I feel.

I sure hope you can save your fish. It's never a good feeling watching them perish. I hate it.

Back