Unite Part 2

abell

The first thread got way off base at some point and I think its extremely important that the main point of growing membership gets directed back to its original topic. So what im going to say, it is for the sake of the club and growing.

First off although I dont own a LFS, I own a business that is based in our hobby. I travel non stop mostly dealing with club shows and LFS around the states and I think I bring a lot of info to the table but its my thoughts so take them with a grain of salt. But to be clear SLASH and Seasl are my hometown clubs in my hometown. It is very important to me that SLASH is relevant as it is my club. I don't get to make every event but know that im disappointed when I don't. The question ask is how do we grow. The real question though needs to be do we want to grow and change? I deal with big clubs like D.C. and cant imagine having to deal with 3000 paying members but thats what is needed to pull off a MACNA. If MACNA was the goal than we have a lot of growing to do, but if its just to stay family/friends drinking than we have very little to do. I'm writing this so we can at least have a discussion about this. I'm LFS pro though as the benefits are important and I will make the points below. Some here aren't but hopefully everyone can see there benefits to the club afterwards.

One big factor is that the club is very tight knitted. This is a GREAT thing, I like the fact that I can show up at Nanooks house and after not seeing everyone for a few months I can just get reacquainted with everyone and talk about anything. Saying that though, if you are a new member walking into a place like that can be really intimidating. The stores work great as a common ground meeting place so I think they are extremely important and allow for growth of the stores and club. The stores always have something going on for pizza night for the club and its a great way for the new members to see a store they may have never stepped into before.

Its extremely important to keep the pizza nights going. Maybe work out group buys with the store for those nights? But we need to be courteous and respectful though in our efforts as these stores go out of their way from staying open late (labor is expensive) to literally handing out freebies and such. Showing up completely smashed and leaving beer bottles around a store makes me wince after hearing about that... The reason why I bring these up isnt to point out our flaws, its to create awareness that the LFS is where our club grows the most.

A new hobbyist for the most part isnt going to start at the Slash website or even RC. The local fish store employees are going to tell them about these places. If you see a tank on TV and decide you know what, its time I got one of those. They are going to walk into a store and look at one. This is where the seed for the hobby begins. From here you learn about the club and how one member has a mini ocean in his basement that throws a party twice a year and that a particular store give out 10% off live stock to members of Slash plus they promote the swap by telling everyone to make sure they come see their booth at the upcoming show. In all honesty we need them as much if not more than they need us to grow. Its all part of the experience of being in the club. I see this emoji of this fool beating this horse to death so its time to move on.

Saying all these positives about LFS we all know the negatives about people buying disease fish or being sold things they should never have in a million years and thats where the club comes in to help educate. They have profit margins they have to make to keep doors open and we have to hope the owners/employees have the customer best interest at all times.

We need to grow the Frag swap bigger and reduce it to once a year. Lets make it an event. Hell we can change the name while were at it. The St. Louis Marine Aquatic Experience brought to you by SLASH or something, but its time to make it more of a cant miss event instead of a 4 hour small swap. It can be done.

If we want to just stay the tight group we are and sit back and drink and not change thats fine and perfect in its own way, but if our true intentions are to grow we can with some hard work and great leadership. Even better if we could pull off both.

Sorry for the length of this but I wrote out 3 times the amount and cut it way down to hopefully allow others some thoughts on growing our club. Thoughts?

I did most of this from an Iphone stuck at a Dr. appointment for my wife so hopefully it all came together.

Abell

Unite Part 2

Great post! Personally I've always considered the small informal nature of SLASH as its biggest appeal. I get the desire the grow but bigger is not always better. If the BODs and the membership have a specific goal in mind which requires increased membership, great, go for it. However, growth just for growing sake does much appeal to me. Since the start the bulk of the work required to keep SLASH moving forward has been orchestrated by a few core dedicated members who generously dedicate their time and effort. A few new names to that list have been added along the way but for every addition to the core there have been far more empty promises and failures to follow through. We have officer nominations every spring and rarely more than few nominations. I get it, people's time is valuable but all the talk of making the club bigger and better isn't going to happen unless more members step up to a plate and do their part. In the end, this is a non profit club not a business, great things will not happen fast and they shouldn't be expected to. The club has come a long way and yes its probably time for a jump to the next level but from my experience it's probably more prudent for it to be a bunny hop rather than a bungee jump.

Last edited:
Matt, Nick, your thoughts are appreciated! I think getting back in our groove of pizza nights is the missing link. Can't get away from your roots;) I don't have a desire to see a MACNA here in Saint Louis either, that's just too grandiose for a club of only 200 or so members. I think seeing a return to the basics is best, baby steps to the next pizza night.

I do like the idea of only one quality frag swap a year as Matt mentioned:)

Matt, I see your points and they are mostly good ones. As we have said in the past, we have taken the LFS neutral approach for the past few years. This has always seemed to be the best stance to take as a club. There are a few things you will always have and will not change. Here are some of the examples:

• Guy A will not shop at LFS because they are screwing him by making him pay $5 more for the same thing he can get online.
  • Guy B who loves shopping at the LFS because by only paying an extra $5 (maybe less due to shipping) he can go get what he needs right now
  • People who simply do not think before clicking "submit" when they are on the internet. I don't think I need to explain this one.
  • LFS fanboys
  • Club fanboys
  • People who think the LFS's are full of idiots
  • People who think the clubs are full of idiots.

As an officer of the club, I try to be the best mixture of these that I can. I absolutely love shopping online, but also purchase from LFS's. If they do not sell stuff and do maintenance, they will go away. Period. I'm not sure about you guys, but I am never happy when a store closes. I also admit that both the LFS's and clubs have their fair share of idiots. If you think otherwise, you are fooling yourself. Unfortunately, many people will see the acts of a drunken, rude club member and place that persona on the entire club. In the same manner, some people will see one bad LFS employee and just say that store sucks. The best thing you can do is recognize that this one off is not the norm and keep moving forward.

All that being said, maybe it is time we start looking for a different approach. I've seen people getting upset here on the boards when certain things are said or telling others they need to be quiet and just drop stuff, but how can we improve if we try to keep people from speaking their minds. Criticism can be a very good tool when used properly. Don't just say something sucks, say why it sucks and how it could possibly be better. If anyone in this hobby tells you they have nothing more to learn, they are either lying to you or a complete fool.

Pizza nights are a staple of this club and will continue to be so. I will take full responsibility for the half-hazard way they have been handled the last couple of months and do my best to make them more regularly scheduled.

This club is indeed a very tight group of people. I consider some of the members here very good friends. That being said almost everyone I know in the club is very approachable. I never once felt like I was bothering someone when I tried to talk to them when I first joined SLASH. The unfortunate truth is that due to the social aspect of the club, most people are just hanging out and talking so there may not be formal introductions. right or wrong, that is how it is. I have been trying to wear my SLASH shirt that has my name on it when I go to pizza nights so people know who I am. Please never hesitate to come up and say hi. Normally all it takes is that initial introduction and you will get introduced to those around.

As for the LFS club debate, I can see both sides. I agree with Ram's statement that if I was a LFS owner, I would not push a club. but I'm not a LFS owner and maybe we should start talking to them. I will say we had a bumpy start with Marine Solutions, but they have turned out to be a large supporter of SLASH. Maybe it is time we rethink some of our relationships.

In the end, I love SLASH and what it stands for and I know it is not for everyone. Grow or not, I just want the club to be successful and keep a happy membership. Please do not feel like you cannot speak your mind. If you have your reservations, send me A PM. if nothing else, I will post your thoughts/comments without a name. Every thought and opinion counts. What is SLASH and where are we going? Simply put, SLASH is you and we are going wherever you wish to take us.

~Ebius, S.L.A.S.H. Club President

Just gonna throw this out there ... Are we going to ever do a poker run again? I had a lot of fun last time we did it and it was a great way of meeting a lot of people/ seeing a lot of tanks/ stores in one day.

Just gonna throw this out there ... Are we going to ever do a poker run again? I had a lot of fun last time we did it and it was a great way of meeting a lot of people/ seeing a lot of tanks/ stores in one day.

Yes, the plan is/was to do one annually. The date of this years fall swap kind of messed with it. I'm not sure if we still have any bike riders in the club so a little cooler weather may not be an issue. I wouldn't rule it out yet...

Ok, so a lot of things were leveled out and seems feelings that fueled some debates leveled out, where DO we go from here? I think we need to see IF we want to grow and go from there. If its a financial thing (we can't afford to maintain over head or pay for swaps, etc.) then we grow or die. I'm open to helping out with what ever we can do to get our name out. My son is chomping at the bit to help with what ever, he LOVES fish! So, maybe we start with a look at the books, and a vote? Grow or no, need or not. I say again, that if we foster a good mutually beneficial relationship with as many of the LFS as we can, that can't hurt us...

I'm a bit of an outsider, but have made a few events here and there. I really like the club and preach it's benefits to any fish geeks I meet and encourage them to join. The benefits I point out are loaner equipment and the CDP. I think if you grow the club too big it may be a pizza night/tank viewing killer becuae people may not want to host a 100 people at their house. To quote the great Forrest Gump, "That's all I have to say about that."

I'm a bit of an outsider, but have made a few events here and there. I really like the club and preach it's benefits to any fish geeks I meet and encourage them to join. The benefits I point out are loaner equipment and the CDP. I think if you grow the club too big it may be a pizza night/tank viewing killer becuae people may not want to host a 100 people at their house. To quote the great Forrest Gump, "That's all I have to say about that."

Well said! Mrs. Nook would not appreciate 100 reefers while she tries to sleep with her ear plugs in on a work night:)

If we can get Hanes Beefy T's, I'm down for 6 shirts.

I definitely want one with my name on it. Jill said she wants one with "property of Kego" on it! J/k,but it would be funny.

One thing that would be helpful at club events is name tags with real/RC name. Has that been done before? Seems like it would help everyone feel more included at PN.

-Mike

One thing that would be helpful at club events is name tags with real/RC name. Has that been done before? Seems like it would help everyone feel more included at PN.

-Mike

Thats a good idea,maybe when you check in and register for give aways or whatever, you get a name tag.

Great suggestion. Especially when we are at the LFS, I never know who is SLASH and who is just a regular customer. It could also be a recruitment tool as people might inquire what SLASH is all about.

-Mike

We have never did this since I've been a member, however some of us wear our SLASH shirts with our screen names printed on them

Alright, then. I'll bring name tags and a crayon to this week's PN.

-Mike

I like yellow crayons, the blue ones taste funny:D

Back